Recognized since 2009
Banking and Finance Law
Capital Markets Law
Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice
Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Private Equity Law
Project Finance and Development Practice
Structured Finance Law
Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm’s Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions / Capital Markets / Banking & Finance Groups. His practice focuses on advising international and local clients on M&A and private equity transactions, including tender offers, joint ventures, debt issuances, public and private offering of securities, derivatives and project development.
Activities and Memberships
- Member of the Board of Votorantim Andina, Compañía Industrial El Volcán and VIVO. He has also been a member of the Board of SQM, Bci Corredor de Bolsa and Liberty Seguros.
- Professor of the LL.M. program at Universidad Católica de Chile (since 2010). He has also been a professor at Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (2009-2012) and Universidad del Desarrollo (2009).
- Vice chair of the M&A Joint Ventures Committee (2020-2023) and vice chair of the Latin America & Caribbean Committee (2017-2023) of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association (ABA).
- Member of the International Bar Association.Foreign associate, Shearman & Sterling, New York (2001-2003).Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter in ICLG - Derivatives, Global Legal Group (2020).
- Author of the Introduction “Legal innovations that foreign investors should be aware of”, ILFR Guide (2014).
- Co-author of “Secured Transactions South of the Border: Chilean Highlights and Recent Developments”, Conference on Consumer Finance Law, Quarterly Report, Vol.66, n°3 y n°4, Oklahoma City University Law School (2012).
- Author of the Chilean chapter in “Essentials of Merger Review”, International Antitrust Committee, American Bar Association (2009).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter in “Merger Control Worldwide”, Cambridge University Press (2005).
- Contributor in several legal reforms promoted by the Chilean government and other non-governmental entities, including the NCG 30’s reform by the Insurance and Securities Commission regarding the registration of securities and debt offerings; the new regulation on corporations; the new law that facilitates the registration of a new business and the code for the certification of mining projects that seeks to facilitate the financing and IPO of new and junior mining companies; among others.
- Frequent lecturer on various corporate finance, securities, M&A, private equity and corporate governance topics in seminars and conferences organized by the ABA, Latin Lawyer and the Chilean Bar Association, among others.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Lawyer Page: https://www.carey.cl/en/resume/francisco-ugarte/
- Isidora Goyenechea 2800, Piso 43
- University of Chicago, LL.M, graduated 2001
- Chile, Bar Association of Chile
- Structured Finance Law, Santiago, Chile (2021)
- Banking and Finance Law
- Capital Markets Law
- Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice
- Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Private Equity Law
- Project Finance and Development Practice
- Structured Finance Law
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500.
- Recognized in Banking and Finance and M&A, IFLR1000.
- Named Lawyer of the Year in Structured Finance, Best Lawyers (2021).
- Recognized as Leading Individual in Corporate and M&A, and in Capital Markets, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A; Banking and Finance; Capital Markets, and in Energy, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized as Best Individual Lawyer in Derivatives and in Mergers and Acquisitions, Client Choice Guide (2012, 2014 and 2018).
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A, and in Capital Markets, LACCA.
- Ranked as one of the leading corporate lawyers in Chile under the age of 40, Latin Lawyer (2003).
- Recognized in Banking and Finance; Capital Markets; Corporate and M&A and Investment, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A, Who%u2019s Who Legal.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.