John Podvin Jr. is a partner in the firm with more than 25 years of regulatory agency, law firm, and corporate experience. He is based in Dallas, Texas, where he works nationally with the firm’s clients.
His practice areas include banking and financial services, litigation, corporate governance, finance, financial crisis advisory and litigation, financial regulatory, government relations strategy, and mergers and acquisitions. As outside counsel, Mr. Podvin works closely with the firm’s banking clients in combating money laundering and developing new products and services, including electronic banking and internet services.
Mr. Podvin advises corporate boards, board committees, and management teams on federal and state banking laws. He has served his clients as a primary liaison to federal bank regulators. Mr. Podvin is part of the firm’s nationally recognized team of banking and financial institutions lawyers who provide comprehensive legal services to financial institutions. A frequent speaker and author, Mr. Podvin has advised his clients on the Dodd Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and was invited to testify before the Texas House of Representatives Pensions, Investments, and Financial Services Committee and the Texas Senate Business and Commerce Committee regarding the Act’s implementation.
Prior to private practice, Mr. Podvin was in-house with an NYSE-listed parent company to a $16B bank. There, he advised the board and management on legal compliance issues, anti-money laundering, fair lending practices, affiliate transactions, ethics, privacy, insider lending, and legal lending limits. Serving as Deputy General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, Mr. Podvin was responsible for the development of enterprise-wide policies. He supervised and managed investigations triggered by consumer complaints and calls to the ethics hotline as required by Sarbanes-Oxley. He also served as a member of the company’s disclosure committee.
Mr. Podvin was elected Chair of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Texas for a one year term that ended in June 2016.
He has been named to the annual list of The Best Lawyers in America© every year since 2014 and Best Lawyers® recognized Mr. Podvin as a 2014 “Lawyer of the Year” for his practice in Financial Services Regulation Law in Dallas, Texas. Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey and is regarded as a definitive guide to legal excellence.
Mr. Podvin has an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards.
He is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School and has a Bachelor of Arts from Georgetown University.
Speeches and Publications
- AML/BSA Mile High Summit, Co-Host and Presenter “Individual Liability: A Brave New World”, Denver, CO, August 2016
- “Let’s Make a Deal: M&A Due Diligence”, Panelist, American Bankers Association Regulatory Compliance Conference, San Diego, CA, June 2016
- “Financial Industry Collaboration with Law Enforcement”, Homeland Security Investigations – Cornerstone Outreach, Hurst, TX, May 2016
- “Managing Personal & Corporate Liability”, Moderator, 2016 Puerto Rican Symposium of Anti-Money Laundering, San Juan, PR, February 2016
- “FinCEN Developments,” National Armored Car Association Conference, Aurora, CO, October 2015
- “Good Bank Governance,” panelist, Independent Bankers of Colorado Annual Convention, Vail, CO, September 2015
- AML/BSA Mile High Summit, panelist, Denver, CO, July 2015
- “E-SIGN Compliance Throughout the Account Life Cycle,” Panelist, American Bankers Association Regulatory Compliance Conference, Washington, DC, June 2015
- “Super-sizing AML Efforts at Small and Mid-sized Institutions,” Moderator, ACAMS money-laundering.com 20th Annual International AML & Financial Crime Conference, Hollywood, Florida, March 2015
- “Responding to a Data Breach,” panelist, American Bankers Association Annual Convention, Dallas, Texas, October 2014
- “Social Media Guidance to Financial Institutions,” co-author, Social Media for Financial Services, Sprinklr, June 30, 2014
- “Identifying Common Themes in Recent Enforcement Actions,” moderator, 19th Annual International AML & Financial Crime Conference, Hollywood, Florida, March 2014
- “Critical Compliance Risks Your Bank Faces” and ” Working with Your Regulators,” presenter, Southwestern Graduate School of Banking 137th Assembly for Bank Directors, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, September 2013
- “Responding to Exam Findings,” panelist, American Bankers Association Regulatory Compliance Conference, Chicago, Illinois, June 2013
- “How Are Financial Institutions Implementing the New FinCEN SAR Filing Requirements?” moderator, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists Roundtable, April 2013
- “Going Beyond Required Testing – How Can AML Audit Better Support AML Compliance,” panelist, 18th Annual International Anti-Money Laundering & Financial Crime Conference, Hollywood, Florida, March 2013