Recognized since 2014
Employee Benefits Law
Elizabeth Brown is an experienced pension and benefits lawyer with Toronto-based Brown Mills Klinck Prezioso LLP. She advises public and private sector employers on a wide range of regulatory governance, compliance and administration matters relating to pension and employee benefits plans.
Elizabeth appears as counsel on pension litigation disputes and has extensive experience advising on large corporate transactions, including insolvencies, mergers and acquisitions, and reorganizations.
Elizabeth provides ongoing advice to provincially and federally-regulated plan sponsors and administrators on jointly sponsored pension plans, defined benefit and defined contribution plans, and savings and profit sharing plans.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://bmkplaw.com/who-we-are/elizabeth-m.-brown/
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Richmond-Adelaide Centre
130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1005
Toronto, ON M5H 3P5
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, LL.B.
- Ontario, 1988
- Ontario, 1988
- Institute of Corporate Directors - Member, ICD.D
- Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario, Pension and Benefits Sector Technical Advisory Committee for Supervision of Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund-Eligible Pension Plans - Member
- Marshall Stakeholder Reference Group - Employer Counsel Representative – Appointed by the Ontario Minister of Finance (2016-2017)
- American Bar Association - CBA Liaison Member – Continuing Legal Education Division – Joint Committee on Employee Benefits (2016 – 2018)
- Canadian Bar Association - National Pension and Benefits Law Section – Past Chair (2018 – 2019), Chair (2017 – 2018), Vice-Chair (2016-2017), Treasurer (2015-2016), Secretary (2014-2015), Executive Member (2011-2014)
- Ontario Bar Association - Member (Pension and Benefits Law Section)
- International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers’ Association (IPEBLA) - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Employee Benefits Law, Toronto, Canada (2022)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Employee Benefits Law
- Chambers Canada (2016-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2014-2023)
- Legal 500 Canada (2015-2023)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2007-2022)
- Who’s Who Legal: Labour, Employment & Benefits (2019-2022)
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada (2012-2021)
- Ontario Bar Association Award of Excellence in Pension and Benefits Law (2017)
- Acts as pension counsel to a federally-regulated private sector employer in binding arbitration between employer and union regarding $15 billion defined benefit pension plan.
- Advises the employer sponsor of a Ontario jointly sponsored pension plan for university sector and the associated governance and regulatory aspects of the consolidation of multiple single employer pension plans.
- Appointed by the Province of Nova Scotia as one of three pension experts serving on a panel to assess and make recommendations on improving the funding of the Nova Scotia Teachers’ Pension Plan.
- Advised an Ontario broader public sector employer and its investment manager in the transfer and consolidation of its pension plan assets within a newly-created jointly sponsored pension plan.
- Acted as pension counsel to a broader public sector employer in pension dispute related to the employer sponsored defined benefit pension plan.
- Advised the employer sponsor of a public sector jointly sponsored pension plan on the creation of a new benefit option under the plan for the not-for-profit sector.
- Represented a foreign parent corporation in defending two proposed Newfoundland and Labrador class actions seeking damages in relation to pension and benefits claims related to insolvent Canadian subsidiaries.
- Advised several employers in their negotiations for the conversion of their existing defined benefit and hybrid registered pension plans to a newly-created $10 billion multi-employer jointly sponsored pension plan, involving multiple unions and other interested stakeholders.
- Acted as pension counsel to large defined benefit pension plan administrators in applications before the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal and the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal.
- Acted as lead pension and benefits counsel to a large steel manufacturer in Companies Creditors’ Arrangement Act proceedings.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.