Mr. Lanquist is an AV rated lawyer who focuses his practice on patent and trademark litigation, intellectual property counseling, and trademark prosecution. In addition to litigating more than one hundred cases, Mr. Lanquist has filed over twelve hundred trademark registration applications, over 150 patent applications, and performed in excess of 1,900 trademark clearance searches. He has litigated cases involving patent infringement, trade mark infringement, trade dress infringement, right of publicity, copyright infringement, design patent infringement, and trade secret misappropriation cases. Mr. Lanquist counsels clients on the economic benefits and implications of intellectual property protection and litigation.
- J.D., with Honors, University of Tennessee, 1988
- B.S., Civil Engineering, with Honors, University of Tennessee, 1985
- Obtained award of $1.7 million against the employee of a client for violation of the Uniform Trade Secret Act.
- Handled appeal of a judgment against the client of another firm of a $7.4 million patent infringement verdict.
- Obtained favorable settlement for an ecommerce company relating to a patent infringement suit.
- Performed multiple patent studies including providing freedom to operate opinions, non-infringement opinions and invalidity opinions.
- Tried a patent infringement jury trial relating to rethermalization equipment.
- Resolved a copyright infringement matter involving medical billing software.
- Resolved a trademark infringement case relating to knives.
- Tried a trade secret and unfair competition case involving medical devises.
- Assisted a record company in successfully resolving a trademark infringement dispute with another company.
- Obtained a summary judgment of non-infringement for a sporting goods client in a patent infringement case and obtained affirmance of the summary judgment by the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a summary judgment of invalidity for a materials sorting client in a patent infringement case and obtained affirmance of the summary judgment by the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Tried a trade dress infringement case relating to musical instruments.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement for an MP3 accessories company in a patent infringement suit.
- Obtained multiple summary judgments in a trade dress infringement case involving different musical instrument manufacturers.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and a seizure order on behalf of a gaming machines client in a trademark and copyright infringement and trademark counterfeiting case.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of an entertainment client against the publisher of comic books in a right of publicity case.
- Obtained a judgment of trademark infringement for an entertainment client in a jury trial.
- Obtained a judgment of non-infringement for a religious publishing client in an arbitrated trademark infringement case.
- Obtained judgment against a former employee of a client for violation of the Uniform Trade Secret Act.
- Registered Patent Attorney (USPTO)
- Various United States District Courts
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeasls
- Current member of the Board of Directors of the Nashville Bar Association
- Former Chairman of the American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Patent, Copyright and Trademark Committee
- Executive Committee of the Tennessee Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee
- Past President, Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association
- Past Treasurer, Nashville Bar Association
- Past Chair, Nashville Bar, Intellectual Property Committee
- Past Chair, Nashville Bar Association,Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Past Chair, Nashville Bar Association, ad hoc committee for online continuing legal education
Professional and Community Services
- Current Chair of the Mid South Chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Past Chair and current Board Member of the Belcourt Theatre - Nashville's Sundance and art house theatre
- Board Member for the Nashville Capital Network
- Board Member of the Arts and Business Council
- Board Member Nashville Shakespeare Festival
- Mentor, Nashville Entrepreneurial Center
- Past member of the board of trustees, Renewal House - Nashville's first, largest, and most comprehensive long-term recovery community for women with substance use addictions and their children.
- Past chair of the Middle Tennessee Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Past chair of the James E. West district of the Boy Scouts of America
- Past board member, Middle Tennessee Chapter of the Boy Scouts of America
- Past president, Davidson County chapter, University of Tennessee National Alumni Association
- Former Governor, University of Tennessee National Alumni Association.
- Provides pro-bono services to non-profit organizations in their attempts to protect their trademarks
- Cofounder of MS150 Jack and Back
- Alabama Technology Today
- ABA Young Lawyers' Division magazine
- Nashville Bar Journal
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- National Business Institute
- Southeastern Commercial Law Institute
Mr. Lanquist speaks regularly before numerous professional and industry organizations, including the following:
- Named by National Law Journal as one of 2012 Tennessee's Top Lawyers
- Best Lawyers 2010-Present
- Law & Politics magazine, Mid-South Super Lawyer, 2005-Present
- Nashville Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2003-2009 (the criteria changed and IP is no longer an area of recognition)