EXPERIENCE & AREAS OF PRACTICE
Edmund has over 22 years’ experience in dispute resolution, litigation and arbitration, regularly appearing as lead counsel in hearings, trials and appeals before the Singapore courts, as well as in international arbitrations.
He has frequently appeared opposite various Singapore Senior Counsel since 2006, and successfully against Queen’s Counsel in the Singapore High Court in July 2012. He has also been instructed by other solicitors to act as counsel.
Edmund also sits as an Arbitrator, and has conducted arbitrations seated in Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Vietnam, as Sole Arbitrator, Tribunal Chairman / Presiding Arbitrator and Tribunal Member.
His main areas of practice are:
- Commercial Litigation & Arbitration
- Worldwide Mareva Injunctions / Freezing Injunctions (combined value to-date exceeding USD 1 billion)
- Medical Negligence & Misconduct
- Corporate Insolvency
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (1997)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (2003)
- Rights of Audience, AIFC Court, Astana International Financial Centre, Kazakhstan (2019)
ARBITRATION FELLOWSHIPS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb)
- Fellow, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb)
- Fellow, Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand (AMINZ)
- Fellow, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators (HKIArb)
- Fellow, Philippine Institute of Arbitrators (PIArb)
- Fellow and Faculty Member, International Dispute Resolution Academy (IDRA)
- Fellow, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution (AiADR)
- Member, Association for International Arbitration (AIA)
- Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Member, London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) Asia Pacific Users’ Council
- Member, Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration (AFIA)
- Member, Russian Arbitration Association (RAA)
Edmund has received repeated recognition in the following directories and rankings (apart from Best Lawyers) :
- Legal 500 (Asia Pacific)
- Chambers (Global & Asia Pacific)
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers – Dispute Resolution, Singapore
- Asia Business Law Journal – “The A-List” : Singapore’s Top 100 Lawyers (2018)
- Benchmark Litigation – “Dispute Resolution Star” (Singapore) - Commercial and Transactions, International Arbitration
- Who's Who Legal : Litigation
QUOTES FROM PROFESSIONAL DIRECTORIES
- Who’s Who Legal : Litigation : “one of Singapore's highest-regarded litigators and arbitration counsel”.
- The Legal 500 (Asia Pacific) : “aggressive”, “articulate”, “good strategist”, “trusted confidant”, “good advocate” and “best in class”.
- Chambers & Partners : “a deeply experienced litigator” ... “has the ability to think beyond the conventional and has brilliant ideas in terms of legal strategy”.
- AsiaLaw Profiles 2019: Client Feedback on Individual Lawyers : “Hands on and very good with clients.” “Top notch, one of my go-to referrals in Singapore.” “Good knowledge. He can speak Bahasa [Indonesia] which is helpful and good skills.”