- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., graduated 1987
- University of New Mexico, BBA, graduated 1984
- New Mexico, State Bar of New Mexico
- New Mexico, U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- New Mexico, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- New Mexico, United States Supreme Court
- American Bar Association - Section of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law
- Independent Petroleum Association of New Mexico - Member
- Institute for Energy Law - Advisory Board
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel - Member
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation - Audit and Risk Management Committee
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Oil and Gas Law, Albuquerque (2018)
- Oil and Gas Law, Albuquerque (2016)
- Railroad Law, Albuquerque (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Oil and Gas Law
- Railroad Law
- Best Lawyers in America®, in Oil & Gas Law and Railroad Law, 2007-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Southwest Super Lawyers® in Energy & Natural Resources, 2007-present
Attorney Case History
Baker v. BP America Production Co.
Represented BP America and argued before the New Mexico Supreme Court in a case establishing the proper venue for suits against foreign corporations. See Baker v. BP America Production Co., 137 N.M. 334, 110 P.3d 1071 (2005).
Manzano Oil Corp. v. Chesapeake Operating, Inc.
Obtained summary judgment for an operator who had commenced drilling on an adjacent surface tract prior to the expiration of an oil and gas lease, defeating ownership claims of a lessee who had acquired a top lease. See Manzano Oil Corp. v. Chesapeake Operating, Inc., 178 F. Supp. 2d 1217 (D.N.M. 2001).
Stark-Romero v. Amtrak
Succeeded in sustaining federal jurisdiction over a railroad crossing wrongful death suit which plaintiffs sought to bring as a complaint in intervention in a pending state court lawsuit involving a different accident at the same crossing. See Stark-Romero v. Amtrak, 763 F. Supp. 2d 761 (D.N.M. 2011).