Recognized since 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina
Criminal Defense: White-Collar
Upon graduation from law school in 1980, Doug Kingsbery joined the firm of Tharrington, Smith & Hargrove in Raleigh, North Carolina, where he worked as an associate in the areas of education law and criminal defense. He was made Partner in 1985, and has developed an extensive litigation and trial practice which includes trial and appellate work in civil, criminal and administrative law. Over the past 28 years, he has tried dozens of civil and criminal jury trials in numerous state and federal courts across North Carolina and he has received an AV rating from his peers as reported in Martindale-Hubbell.
As a criminal law practitioner, Doug Kingsbery has tried and won jury trials in the federal district courts of North Carolina, as well as in several counties across the State. Mr. Kingsbery was certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a Specialist in both federal and state criminal law, 1991-2002. In 1997, the North Carolina State Bar appointed him Chairman of the Criminal Law Specialty Committee. He and his committee rewrote North Carolina's written examination for certification as a specialist in federal and state criminal law. He has also served the State of North Carolina through the acceptance of several appointments to defend indigent persons charged with capital murder. For his work in criminal law, Mr. Kingsbery is listed in Best Lawyers in America, and has been named one of North Carolina's "Super Lawyers" by Law and Politics and Charlotte Magazine.
As a civil practitioner, Doug Kingsbery has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in the federal and state courts of North Carolina, and has won civil jury trials in both forums. His civil trial practice includes complex commercial litigation as well as serious personal injury and wrongful death He also represents taxpayers in civil tax disputes, and has been admitted to the United States Tax Court and the Federal Court of Claims. For his work in civil litigation, his peers have voted him one of Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in the field of Litigation. Mr. Kingsbery is also listed in Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and for "Bet the Company" Litigation.
As an administrative law practitioner, Mr. Kingsbery has represented attorneys before the North Carolina State Bar as well as other professionals before numerous North Carolina State licensing boards. He has also represented numerous taxpayers in both civil and criminal cases before the Internal Revenue Service, the United States Department of Justice and the North Carolina Department of Revenue.
As an appellate practitioner, Mr. Kingsbery has argued and won cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the North Carolina Supreme Court, the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the Florida Supreme Court. His practice in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals includes both civil and criminal cases, and he has won several reversals in criminal cases before that court. The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals has recently appointed him to its CJA appellate panel, which is comprised of only experienced practitioners before that Court.
Contact & Links
- Wells Fargo Building, Suite 1800
150 Fayetteville Street
P.O. Box 1151
Raleigh, NC 27602
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., graduated 1980
- Duke University , A.B., graduated 1977
- North Carolina, North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina, North Carolina Bar Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section) - Member
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys - Member
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice - Member
- North Carolina Bar Association (Litigation Section) - Member
- North Carolina State Bar - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization, Board Certified Specialist in Federal and State Criminal Law (1991)
- Inducted as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (2010)
- Listed in North Carolina's Super Lawyers (2008-2016)
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated Attorney, Martindale Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® for Criminal Law, Commercial Litigation, "Bet the Company" Litigation (2005-Present)
- Listed in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" Criminal Law Section
- 2014 Client Choice Award, AVVO
Board Certified Specialist in Federal and State Criminal LawNorth Carolina Board of Legal Specialization, Board Certified Specialist in Federal and State Criminal Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.