Donald Pfundstein is the former legal counsel to the New Hampshire State Senate. He continues to be listed in Woodward/White Inc.’s The Best Lawyers in America®, and was named by Best Lawyers as Concord's 2013 "Lawyer of the Year" in Government Relations. He has practiced law for more than 30 years. Previously, Don served as the firm's president and managing director.
Don’s practice focuses on the regulated industries. He regularly appears before various executive agencies including the Insurance Department and Public Utilities Commission. He also has extensive experience representing clients before the Energy Facility Site Evaluation Committee and the New Hampshire Legislature.
Don regularly advises insurers, financial institutions and other businesses on insurance law issues. Representative insurance engagements include:
- Redomestication of foreign insurer to New Hampshire
- Sale of three domestic companies to Bermuda-based reinsurance organization
- Sale of publicly traded insurance holding company and its domestic insurer
- International assumption reinsurance transaction with impaired insurer
- De novo insurer formation, capitalization and national licensing
- Market conduct and financial examinations, unfair insurance practice representation and comprehensive legislative and regulatory guidance.
He has extensive experience representing national and international companies planning, siting, permitting and constructing large energy generation and transmission infrastructure projects. Representative energy engagements include serving as:
- Special permitting counsel to the capital that financed the development of a biomass generation facility
- Special counsel to the developer of a large scale electric transmission facility for renewable power
- Lead New Hampshire counsel which sited, permitted and constructed an international natural gas pipeline system traversing more than 100 miles in New Hampshire
- Lead New Hampshire counsel which sited, permitted and constructed a 525MW combined cycle electric power plant and related transmission line
- Lead New Hampshire counsel which sited, permitted and constructed an interstate natural gas compressor station
- Lead New Hampshire counsel for sale of portfolio of merchant power facilities
Don has coached girls' softball for 20 years. He is the New Hampshire assistant commissioner of Babe Ruth Softball, and coaches softball at his local high school.
Don graduated magna cum laude from St. Michael’s College with a bachelor’s degree in political science. He studied political thought at McGill University. He graduated from Albany Law School of Union University.