Recognized since 1983
Each divorce case is unique. No lawyer knows that more keenly than Donald C. Schiller, who has dedicated his career to serving leaders or their spouses from the business, professional, entertainment and sports communities. Mr. Schiller is well versed in the complexity of such high profile cases, which often require multiple legal services, exceptional discretion, and wide-ranging experience. Unique cases demand unique solutions—whether through negotiated settlement or litigation—and Mr. Schiller has built a reputation and family law firm around providing them in a personalized way for each client. A well-known authority in his field, Mr. Schiller has been teaching divorce law at the University of Chicago Law School for more than 10 years.
Recognized as one of the nation’s top matrimonial lawyers by Town and Country Magazine, Worth Magazine, Chicago Sun-Times, National Law Journal and Crain’s Chicago Business, Mr. Schiller has been called a “gentleman in a volatile profession.” His demeanor inspires the confidence of clients, who quickly realize that Mr. Schiller and his firm understand their needs like no others. Mr. Schiller is listed in all editions of The Best Lawyers in America and in 2009 was the first to be named as Chicago’s Lawyer of the Year for Family Law. Both “Super Lawyers” and “Leading Lawyers” surveys have named Mr. Schiller as one of the top 10 lawyers in Illinois. In 2011 the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Illinois chapter) presented Mr. Schiller with its prestigious Judge Samuel Berger Award given to one who exemplifies integrity, courtesy, knowledge of family law and possesses an extraordinary ability to solve human problems. He is also the subject of a chapter in the book The Divorce Lawyers by Emily Couric.
Mr. Schiller’s peers have selected him for major professional responsibilities, which included: President of the Illinois State Bar Association, member of the Board of Governors of the American Bar Association, Chair of the ABA’s Family Law Section, Chair of the State Bar’s Family Law Section, National Chair of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers’ Continuing Legal Education Committee Diplomat of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers, member of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and a co-founder and faculty member of the ABA Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute. DePaul University College of Law has named their family law center the Schiller DuCanto & Fleck family law center. He is also a member of The Economic Club of Chicago.
Mr. Schiller is a well-known published author and lecturer in the field of family law. Along with Joseph DuCanto, Mr. Schiller founded Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP in 1981 with the vision of creating a firm that would be internationally recognized as a model for the practice of family law. The firm has grown to become the largest in the United States that limits its practice to family law.
Donald Schiller was featured in February 2010 cover story by Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine and in a March 2011 cover story in Chicago's Best Lawyers.
- Lawyer Page: https://www.sdflaw.com/attorneys/dschiller
- 321 North Clark Street, Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60654
- Lake Forest College, attended 1960-63
- Illinois, Illinois State Bar Association
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Fellow
- American Bar Association - Member
- American College of Family Law Trial Lawyers - Member
- Chicago Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- Illinois Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- Illinois State Bar Association Standing Committee on Amicus - Member
- Family Law, Chicago (2009)
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Marital Settlement Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- One of the nation's top matrimonial lawyers by Town & Country Magazine, Worth Magazine, The National
- DePaul University College of Law has named its Family Law Center the Schiller DuCanto & Fleck Family Law Center
- Distinguished Alumni Award, DePaul University (1988)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America by Neifeh and Smith (1981-2016)
- Law Dragon Magazine named him one of the 500 top lawyers in America (2005-2010)
- Leading Lawyers Magazine survey named Schiller No. 1 in Matrimonial Law and in the Top Ten of Illinois Lawyers considering all fields of law (2008)
- Super Lawyers named him one of the top 10 Lawyers in Illinois considering all fields of law (2006-2007, 2015-2016)
- Subject of a biography in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in the World, and Who's Who in American Law
- Subject of a chapter in the book, The Divorce Lawyers, by Emily Couric
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.