Deborah is a partner practicing in the area of commercial litigation with an emphasis on disputes of complex commercial agreements. She has been identified as a leading lawyer in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Litigation – Corporate Commercial), The Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate and Commercial Litigation) and Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys (Litigation Star in Ontario). Deborah regularly acts for individuals, corporations and major financial institutions providing creative advice and strategies for resolving complicated business disputes. Her significant mandates include matters involving director and officer liability, private equity transactions, commercial real estate disputes and securities related issues. She regularly appears in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List).
- Defended a large international bank in a dispute over amounts owed under the terms of a carried interest plan and related private equity fund
- Defended the former principal of Lakeport Brewing Corp. in the defence of a $50 million officer and director liability claim
- Defended ICI Canada at trial in an action for specific performance of an agreement for the sale of land in Georgian Bay
- Acted for a U.S. subsidiary claiming indemnification for pre-arrangement taxes arising out of a Plan of Arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act with a $400 million transaction value. Defended the responding Application seeking rectification of the tax indemnity agreement executed in connection with the Plan of Arrangement
- Court-appointed litigation counsel to the Litigation Trustee of Cash Store Financial Services Inc.
- Represented Oxford Developments in applications for the interpretation of commercial real estate contracts
- Represented the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System before a major municipal judicial inquiry
- Acted on behalf of a committee of contesting bondholders in the BCE privatization, which involved the world's largest leveraged buy-out with an enterprise value of $52 billion
- Litigation counsel to the receiver, RSM Richter Inc., in the Norshield hedge fund scandal
- Represented respondent Corpfinance International Limited ("CFI") in connection with the dismissal of a motion to vary a vesting order together with a substantial indemnity costs award in favour of CFI
- Counsel to a variety of matters involving interim injunctive relief
- Counsel on a number of multi-party mediations and arbitrations pertaining to contractual interpretation disputes
Deborah is a director of The Advocates' Society, former Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on Advocacy and Practice and current chair of Education. She was selected to be a member of the Commercial List Users Committee (CLUC) in 2015. Deborah is a frequent speaker at continuing professional development (CPD) programs and is active in mentoring young lawyers. Recent professional appearances include the following:
- Co-chair and Moderator – The Advocates’ Society program “Negotiation Strategies for Litigators” on the panel entitled “Negotiating an Enforceable Deal.” May 08, 2018.
- Speaker – The Advocates’ Society Program “Leading Your Case: Opening Statements and Examination-in-Chief” on the panel entitled “Mastering Opening Statements” December 15, 2017.
- Co-chair – The Advocates’ Society 2017 Fall Convention in Nashville, Tennessee. November 1 – 5, 2017.
- Mentor – The Advocates' Society 7th Biennial Women in Litigation Symposium. October 27, 2018.
- Chair – The Law Society of Upper Canada Program “Getting the Most Out of the Rules of Civil Procedure.” February 28, 2017.
- Speaker – The 2017 Toronto Courthouse Series on the topic “Previewing Your Story in Your Opening Statement.” February 23, 2017.
- Speaker and Panelist - The Advocates’ Society Program “Motions Advocacy.” February 7, 2017.
- Co-chair and Moderator – The Advocates’ Society Program “Cross-examination: Strategies for Success.” January 20, 2017.
- Speaker – The Advocates' Society Fall Convention in California regarding "Update on The Advocates' Society Policy Initiatives and Interventions." November 12, 2016.
- Co-chair – The Advocates' Society Program "Breakfast Near Tiffany's VI - Public Interest Litigation and Advocacy." September 30, 2017
- Co-chair and Moderator – The Advocates' Society Program: "Insolvency Litigation." June 20, 2017.
- Speaker – The Advocates' Society Program "Summary Judgment Motions." May 27, 2017
- Co-chair and Moderator – The Advocates' Society 6th Biennial Women in Litigation Symposium: The Powerful Advocate. October 23, 2017.
- Speaker and Panelist – The Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) Program "At Issue for Civil Litigators - What is Trending Now." October 22, 2015.
- Co-Chair – The Advocates' Society Program "Breakfast Near Tiffany's - The Client." May 22, 2015.
- Speaker – "Practice Management at Trial: What You Need to Know." The Advocates's Society Program "Practice Management Essentials: Managing Your Way to Trial Success." April 30, 2015.
- Co-Chair – The Advocates' Society Civil Litigation Skills Certificate Program: "Trial from A to Z." April 8, 2015.
- Speaker – The Advocates' Society Courthouse Series: "Challenging Credibility." February 11, 2015.
Deborah is member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section.