Recognized since 2018
Criminal Defense: General Practice
Mr. Polales has spent his career investigating, coordinating and trying criminal cases in the State of Illinois. He now focuses his work in the area of white-collar criminal defense, corporate compliance and internal investigations.
- Representing a number of subjects of interest in federal grand jury investigations involving allegations of theft of trade secrets, unlawful access to stored electronic communications, public corruption, mail, wire and securities fraud and other financial crimes.
- Successfully representing a large corporate entity in a Commodities Futures Trading Commission investigation of potential market manipulation.
- Conducting internal investigations and representing health care providers embroiled in false claims act investigations conducted by the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services and United States Attorneys Offices.
- Providing counsel to a securities exchange in connection with computer and internet issues.
- Pursuing and defending fraud claims in civil commercial litigation.
- Successfully represented a real estate development company in a corporate dissolution case resulting in the dismissal of the case at the close of the cross-examination of the Plaintiff.
U.S. Attorney's Office
Counsel to the United States Attorney (2002-2004)
Advisor to the United States Attorney in matters affecting complex financial and public corruption investigations and prosecutions; Northern District of Illinois’ first Anti-Terror Task Force Coordinator post 9/11.
Chief, Special Prosecutions Section (1995-2002)
Supervised as many as 36 senior Assistant United States Attorneys. Oversaw investigation and prosecution of complex white-collar crimes, consisting primarily of complex financial and fiduciary fraud, securities fraud, health care fraud, defense contractor fraud, commodities fraud, and public corruption matters. Supervised numerous tax and other criminal matters.
Financial Institution Fraud Coordinator (1993-1998)
Personally reviewed and evaluated new matters presented to the United States Attorney’s Office relating to fraud or other misconduct affecting federally insured financial institutions. Supervised six to eight prosecutors, two financial auditors, and a paralegal dedicated to financial institution fraud cases. Organized, supervised and coordinated numerous investigations involving the Comptroller of the Currency, Office of Thrift Supervision, and FDIC. Supervised two Deputy Chiefs of Special Prosecutions who handled Financial Institution Fraud Coordinator duties from 1998 to 2002.
Deputy Chief, Special Prosecutions Division/Section (1988-1995)
Supervised 10-12 Assistant United States Attorneys in the investigation and prosecution of complex white-collar crimes, including complex fraud and public corruption. Served as Civil Rights Coordinator (1989 to 1991). Served as Assistant to the Special Counsel to Attorney Generals Reno and Barr in the internal Department of Justice investigation of fraud claims by INSLAW, a software vendor to the Department of Justice.
Deputy Chief, Criminal Division (1987-1988)
Supervised 8-10 Assistant United States Attorneys in the investigation and prosecution of white-collar crimes, and other federal criminal matters, including numerous narcotics prosecutions. Assistant United States Attorney (June 1983-October 2004) Responsible for the investigation and prosecution of a wide variety of federal criminal offenses involving financial institution, health care, securities, defense contractor, commodities, tax and other fraud, money-laundering, organized crime racketeering and narcotics.
Briefed and argued approximately 15 appeals before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- 53 West Jackson Boulevard, Suite 1420
Chicago, IL 60604
- University of Chicago , JD, graduated 1979
- University of Chicago, BA Political Science, graduated 1975
- Illinois, State Bar Association
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Criminal Defense: General Practice, Chicago (2022)
- Criminal Defense: General Practice, Chicago (2020)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Criminal Defense: General Practice
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.