Recognized in:Employee Benefits Law
Location:100 King Street West1 First Canadian PlaceSuite 6200, P.O. Box 50Toronto, ON M5X 1B8
- Ontario, The Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates’ Society - Member
- Toronto Lawyers Association - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for work in:
- Employee Benefits Law
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: Repeatedly Recommended, Pensions and Employee Benefits
- General Motors of Canada Limited in General Motors of Canada Limited v. Abrams, a class action concerning changes to post-retirement health care benefits and the creation of a health care trust. Also represented General Motors in a court application that obtained approval for a plan to distribute surplus funds under a group life insurance program .
- Towers Watson (formerly Watson Wyatt) in a court application which permitted rectification of pension plan language for the first reported time in Canada: Kraft Canada Inc. v. Pitsadiotis . Also representing Towers Watson in its defence of professional negligence claims in Morneau Shepell Ltd. v. Towers Watson .
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal for Ontario in Medland v. Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan , and various other court and regulatory proceedings.
- Marine Atlantic Inc. in a successful appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal which held that the federal pension legislation does not require distribution of surplus upon a partial plan termination notwithstanding the Monsanto decision: Cousins v. Marine Atlantic Inc. .
- OMERS in its successful appeal at the Ontario Court of Appeal addressing the disclosure obligations of employers and pension plan administrators when changes are under consideration: Hembruff v. OMERS Board . Also acted for OMERS in two cases before the Ontario Court of Appeal relating to entitlements to pension surplus arising in ongoing pension funds; Police Retirees of Ontario Inc. v. OMERS,  andToronto (Metropolitan) Police Services Board v. OMERS, .
- Counsel in a number of cases where negligence has been alleged against pension plan actuaries and/or consulting firms; in some cases defending, in other cases counsel for plaintiff.
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation defending a class action commenced on behalf of pensioners relating to an alleged commitment by the company to share surplus funds with pensioners on an ongoing basis .
- Sybron Canada in its successful application to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for a declaration of its ownership of surplus under the pension instruments: Sybron Canada Limited .
- Representing numerous clients defending wrongful dismissal actions and other employer related litigation.
TransCanada Tower, Suite 2500
450 1st Street, SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5H1
1055 West Hastings Street, Suite 1700
The Guinness Tower
Vancouver, BC V6E 2E9
340 Albert Street, Suite 1900
Ottawa, ON K1R 7Y6
1000, rue De La Gauchetière Ouest
Montréal, QC H3B 4W5
620 Eighth Avenue, 36th Floor
New York, NY 10018