David P. Meyer is the founding principal of the law firm of Meyer Wilson, LPA. David Meyer has earned a national reputation for successfully representing investors who are victims of investment fraud. David is the current president of the Public Investors' Advocate Bar Association (PIABA), an international organization of attorneys dedicated to the advancement of individual investors' rights in disputes with the securities industry. He is also the incoming president of the Ohio Association for Justice, the Ohio state bar association for plaintiff trial attorneys.
David has successfully represented approximately 1,000 individual investors across the country in securities arbitration and litigation cases against all major brokerage firms and won verdicts, judgments and settlements of hundreds of millions of dollars in losses on their behalf. In addition, the firm has served as lead and co-lead counsel in over 25 consumer class actions across the country.
David Meyer served as lead counsel for hundreds of Marion, Ohio, retirees in a class action against Prudential Securities and won a jury verdict in excess of $261 million, believed to be the largest jury verdict in Ohio's history.
He is one of very few investment fraud attorneys listed in the Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2021). Best Lawyers has twice named him Lawyer of Year® in his practice area and location. Thomson Reuters/Super Lawyers named him one of the Top 100 Lawyers in the state of Ohio and one of the Top 50 Lawyers in Columbus. David Meyer has also achieved the peer review rating of "AV-Preeminent (5.0/5.0)" (the highest rating available) under Martindale-Hubbell's rating system for legal ability and ethical standards. He is also rated "Superb" (10/10), a perfect score, by AVVO, an independent lawyer rating service.
David serves on the Board of the Columbus Bar Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Columbus legal community. He also serves as a board member of the Columbus Bar Association's Services affiliate.
David Meyer holds a business administration degree from Ohio University and a law degree and masters degree in tax law from Ohio's Capital University Law School. In 2012, the law school awarded David the Alumni Outstanding Service Award, which is given annually to a Capital University Law School alum who has performed significant voluntary service, beyond the call of business or professional duty, to his/her community and/or Capital University Law School.
Learn more about David P. Meyer and his investment fraud experience.
Visit David P. Meyer's investment fraud lawyer blog.
Presentations & Speeches:
Partial Listing of Speaking Engagements by David P. Meyer, Esq.:
“Civil Liability under State Securities Laws”, Ohio State Bar Association, Webcast Seminar, April 2015
"Getting Personal with Securities Litigation in 2014" Featured Presenter, New York University Stern School of Business, New York City, April 2014
- “Preventing Stockbroker Misconduct and Pursuing Investor Claims”
Ohio State Bar Association, Webcast Presentation, May 2015
- “Ponzi Scheme Loss Recovery: Statutory Aiding and Abetting Claims”, Ohio Association for Justice, 2015 Annual Convention, May 2015
- “Civil Liability under State Securities Laws”, Ohio State Bar Association,Webcast Seminar, April 2015
- "Stockbroker Malpractice and Securities Arbitration", Featured Speaker, Warren County Bar Association CLE Seminar, March 2013
- "Stockbroker Fraud and Securities Arbitration", Presenter, Columbus Bar Association, December 2012
- "Third Annual CBA/COAJ Trial Skills Institute" Moderator - Columbus Bar Association, November 2012
- "Investor Claims" Ohio Association for Justice, Winter Convention, Cleveland, November 2012
- "Fallout from Securities Fraud: Options for Recovery" Annual Ohio Securities Conference, Ohio Division of Securities, October 2012
- "Stockbroker Malpractice and Securities Arbitration" Lake County, Ohio, Bar Association Presentation, October 2012
- "When Investment Portfolios Fail: Holding Stockbrokers and Investment Counselors Accountable" West Virginia Association for Justice Annual Convention, June, 2012
- "Stockbroker Malpractice and Securities Arbitration" Ohio Association for Justice Annual Convention, May, 2012
- "Investment Scams Targeting the Elderly" Columbus Bar Association - Chester Institute, 2011
- "Stockbroker Malpractice and Securities Arbitration" Annual Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Institute: Dayton Bar Association, 2010
- "Stockbroker Malpractice"Annual Litigation Seminar: Central Ohio Association for Justice (COAJ), 2010
- "Mandatory Securities Arbitration of Customer Claims against Brokerage Firms" Panel Member, Ohio Division of Securities' Annual Securities Conference: State of Ohio Division of Securities, 2009
- "What are the Pros and Cons of Class Arbitrations: Plaintiffs' Perspective"Ohio Class Action Summit (sponsored by the law firm of Porter Wright), 2008
- "Stockbroker Malpractice" West Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2007
- "Stockbroker Malpractice" Stark County (Ohio) Elder Law Seminar, 2006
- "Stockbroker Malpractice" Seminar: Lancaster (Ohio) Estate Planning Group, 2005
- "Variable Annuities: Financial Exploitation of the Elderly" Elder Law Update; Annual Convention: Ohio State Bar Association, 2005
- "Consumer Class Actions: In the Wake of New Federal Class Action Law" Negligence Seminar; 2005 Annual Convention: Ohio Academy Of Trial Lawyers, 2005
- "Stockbroker Malpractice" Addressing Certified Public Accountants, Columbus, Ohio, 2004
- "Stockbroker Malpractice" Seminar: American Association of Individual Investors, 2004
- "Stockbroker Malpractice" Cleveland (Ohio) Bar Association (Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association), 2003