Recognized since 2021
Providence, Rhode Island
Contact & Links
- 564 South Water Street
Providence, RI 02903
- Boston College Law School , Juris Doctor, graduated 1985
- Providence College, Magna Cum Laude, graduated 1982
- Rhode Island, RI Bar Association
- Massachusetts, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Rhode Island - General Counsel
- Utility Contractors Association of Rhode Island - General Counsel
- Attorney's Council for the American Subcontractors Association - Member
- Forum on the Construction Industry for the American Bar Association - Member
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Construction Law
- David has co- authored "Advanced Construction Law in Rhode Island" published by National Business Institute and is a frequent speaker for business and trade groups throughout the State. David has been recognized in the Best Lawyer publications for Rhode Island. BV Rated Martindale-Hubbell
David is the Co-Chair of the firms Construction Law Practice Group and is a member of the firm's Business and Civil Litigation Practice Group, Corporate and Business Practice Group, Labor and Employment Practice Group, and Public Sector/Governmental Services Practice Group.
David is experienced representing property owners, general contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers, construction managers, developers, sureties and lenders in all phases of the construction process — from the beginning of the project (consulting, contract negotiation and formation) to the end of the project (mediation/arbitration/litigation of disputes and mechanic’s liens). David has years of experience in construction disputes in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts involving commercial properties, office buildings, residential developments, condominiums, site preparation, public highway and bridge construction, shopping centers, and more.
David and our attorneys at SHS are able to assist with:
Contract formation and review: We understand that construction contracts can be very different from other types of contracts. Our experience in real estate and financing helps SHS create ironclad contracts that still have the flexibility you and your business associates need.
Delay claims and extra work claims: From the initial contract through all the timeline issues that might come up, we can help you understand your rights and what your options are to enforce the original terms or how to adjust to maximize profit after construction is delayed.
Change orders and mid-project disputes: We have the experience to help you renegotiate mid-project disputes and to do what can be done to bring the project back on track.
Mediation, Arbitration, and Litigation: When negotiations fail, we can help you seek the best solution for your project through the court system or through a neutral mediator or arbitrator.
Mechanic’s liens: When payments aren’t made as anticipated, we can help you secure your interest in the value of the property to ensure that your investment in labor, materials, and money are reimbursed and protected.
Construction Managers, Architects and Engineers: Because the design and execution of a structure are so vital to the long-term success of any construction project, there are specific requirements and liabilities that construction managers, project managers, engineers, architects, and other industry professionals must adhere to. The attorneys in our Construction Law Practice Group can help you navigate these sometimes murky waters to ensure the success of your project, and/or to deal with all types of remediation issues.
Bond claims: Bond claims can be complex and difficult to understand. We have the experience to counsel our clients on bond options (such as payment and performance bonds) and to pursue claims as necessary and appropriate.
Surety litigation: Together with our Business and Civil Litigation Practice Group, we explore all options to resolve your surety matter quickly and fairly.
Insolvencies of contractors: SHS has years of experience dealing with insolvency issues as related to construction projects, and can guide property owners, industry tradesmen and professionals, and insolvent contractors through the insolvency process.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.