Recognized since 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
Litigation - Intellectual Property
Oil and Gas Law
Mr. Patrón regularly counsels and represents clients in the energy sector, including publicly traded exploration and production companies with domestic and international operations. For more than a decade, he has acted as the primary counsel for an oil and gas company that consistently ranks as a top producer in the State of Louisiana. Mr. Patrón also actively represents several oilfield services companies specializing in drilling, pressure control, snubbing, nitrogen and fluid pumping, wireline, barge and towing services, offshore catering, hydraulic fracturing, and well control. He handles a variety of litigation matters affecting the energy sector, including disputes with lessors, royalty owners, contractors, operators, and regulators. His experience includes a host of government and regulatory issues affecting the oil and gas industry, including coastal use permitting, environmental regulations, severance taxes, oilfield legacy litigation, royalty disputes, criminal investigations, and lease disputes. He represents energy clients before the Department of Revenue, Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Department of Natural Resources, Department of Environmental Quality, State Mineral Board, Environmental Protection Agency, and Department of Justice.
Mr. Patrón also represents corporate clients on a variety of intellectual property and technology issues including trade secrets, copyright and trademark law, software rights and licensing, confidentiality and non-competition agreements, e-commerce and internet use, cybersquatting, and unfair trade practices. Mr. Patrón litigates intellectual property cases on a regular basis and frequently works with the Patent and Trademark Office to secure various registrations for emerging companies. He represents clients in the sale of intellectual property and the use of trademarks and copyrighted materials on websites. He reviews, drafts, negotiates, and litigates software licensing agreements and counsels clients regarding business systems designed to protect trade secrets. Mr. Patrón is the former chairman of the Intellectual Property Law Committee of the Louisiana State Bar Association and remains active in the IP committees of New Orleans and Louisiana Bar Associations. He is a frequent speaker on a wide variety of intellectual property topics, and the media regularly seeks his legal analysis regarding intellectual property issues.
Mr. Patrón has substantial experience in antitrust and trade regulation. At Stanford Law School, he studied antitrust and trade regulation under the former United States Attorney General of the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice. Since then, he has defended and prosecuted antitrust claims on behalf of clients at the trial and appellate levels, has prepared amicus briefs on antitrust issues, and has monitored antitrust litigation, legislation, and guidelines on behalf of interested clients. Outside of the courtroom, Mr. Patrón has defended clients being investigated by federal antitrust regulators, has designed an Antitrust Compliance Manual for businesses, and has published articles on antitrust law developments. He has also counseled trade associations and practice groups on various antitrust issues, including information sharing, price-fixing, and state-action immunity.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Patrón serves on the firm’s E-Discovery Team and helps guide the firm’s efforts to ensure that our lawyers are on the cutting edge of the evolving legislative and jurisprudential rules which govern electronic discovery and have the best tools available to efficiently collect, review and produce electronic data for the firm’s clients. The E-Discovery Team also works with clients to develop strategies for electronic data organization, retention and collection – both before and during litigation – so that they are prepared to actively avoid, pursue or defend disputes in the most efficient way possible.
Mr. Patrón has published several articles concerning developments in antitrust, trade regulation, intellectual property, and commercial litigation. He has drafted several papers and moderated a series of American Bar Association roundtable discussions on a variety of legal topics and has appeared as a legal commentator on WDSU-TV, WGNO-TV, and WVUE-TV to discuss various government and court actions.
Contact & Links
- 365 Canal Street, Suite 2000
New Orleans, LA 70130-6534
- Stanford University , J.D., graduated 1993
- Princeton University, AB, graduated 1990
- Texas, Texas
- Louisiana, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association - Member
- Louisiana State Bar Association - Member, Intellectual Property Section
- Metropolitan Area Committee Leadership Forum - Member
- New Orleans Bar Association - Member
- New Orleans Regional Leadership Institute - Alumnus
- Princeton Alumni Association - Board Member
- Tulane University Law School - Adjunct Faculty Member
- World Trade Organization - Member
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- District Court for the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, North Dakota
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Intellectual Property, New Orleans (2020)
- Litigation - Intellectual Property, New Orleans (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Oil and Gas Law
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Louisiana Super Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- IP Star - Managing Intellectual Property Magazine
- Client's Choice Award for IP Due Diligence - Corporate INTL
- IP Due Diligence Attorney of the Year in Louisiana - Corporate INTL
- Corporate Livewire Global 2015 Global Award for Intellectual Property in Louisiana
- New Orleans Magazine - Top Lawyers
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.