David I. Spector
Recognized in:Commercial LitigationInsurance Law
Location:West Tower, Suite 1900777 South Flagler DriveWest Palm Beach, FL 33401
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Standing Committee of Lawyers' Professional Responsibility - Past Member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Member
- Center for Family Services - Past Board Member
- Opportunity Inc. - Past Board Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Insurance Law, West Palm Beach (2020)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Super Lawyers Magazine 2006-2016, Listed in Florida for General Litigation and Employment Litigation - Defense
- Chambers USA 2011-2015, Ranked in Florida for Labor & Employment
- Chambers USA 2013-2016, Ranked in Florida for Litigation: General Commercial
- The Network of Trial Law Firms, Litigation Management: Getting Great Results, Presenter, "Fraud Schemes: Not If But When," April 2016
- Akerman Twentieth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Employment Law Trends: What Employers Need to Know," September 2015
- The Network of Trial Law Firms, Litigation Management Supercourse, Presenter, "You Have the Right to Remain Silent - Sometimes: The Implication of Invoking the Fifth Amendment Privilege," April 2014
- Akerman Nineteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Employment Litigation Trends," April 2014
- Akerman Eighteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Mock Jury Trial of a Retaliation Claim," April 2013
- Akerman Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Privacy Rights in the Workplace," February 2012
- The Network of Trial Law Firms, Co-Author and Continuing Education Presenter, "Areas of Ethical Morass for In-House Counsel," August 2011
- American Bar Association, Continuing Education Seminar Co-Presenter, "What You Say About Your Clients Can Come Back to Haunt You: Internal Firm Communications and the Limits of Attorney-Client Privilege," July 2011
- Akerman Sixteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "(Dis)Order in the Court! Mock Trial of a Sexual Harassment Case," April 2011
- Akerman Client Seminar, Speaker, "Wage & Hour Update: Latest Trends and Compliance Tips," October 2010
- Akerman Fifteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Retaliation and Whistleblower Claims: A Growing Problem for Employers" May 2010
Healthcare and Personal Injury Fraud
- Representation of a national insurance company in an affirmative federal fraud case. Obtained summary judgment in favor of the Plaintiff and established law that provides a clinic license obtained by fraud in void ab initio.
- Representation of a national insurance company in establishing that liability is joint and several among all defendants that participate in a scheme to defraud an insurer.
- Representation of a national insurance company in the first attempt by the insurance industry to sue a medical legal referral service. This case established the right of an insurer to reclaim funds paid when the provider violated Florida's self-referral laws.
- Representation of property and casualty insurer in action to recover insurance benefits which were paid to health care providers and clinic for services which were allegedly unlawful as the clinic was not properly licensed.
- Prosecuted RICO, fraud, and deceptive trade practice claims, including action on behalf of insurance carriers seeking in excess of $35 million in damages against physicians, surgery centers, and medical practice managers relating to certain spinal procedures performed on personal injury claimants.
- Representation of bio tech company in defense of breach of contract, trade secret, and conversion claims resulting from joint venture to promote new pharmaceutical products in which plaintiffs sought $82 million in economic damages.
- Representation of a 50% managing member in claims involving breach of fiduciary duty, defamation, and breach of Florida's LLC Act arising from restructuring of international aviation company.
- Representation of publicly traded commercial landowner involving alleged violations of FCC regulations and tortious interference.
- Representation of client in defense of action brought by minority interest holder in challenge for corporate control of entity and intellectual property rights to FDA cleared medical device.
- Representation of client in defense of federal court litigation commenced against Board of Directors of New York-based international law firm involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty partnership dispute asserted by former equity partners (New York and Florida law).
- Representation of publicly traded software company in litigation involving breach of contract, fraud, and request for receiver brought by former joint venture partner.
- Representation of client in multi-case litigation involving claims of alleged fraudulent transfers in connection with investments made in residential development entity and fraud claims brought against opposing 50% member in LLC.
- Representation of publicly traded international office supply retailer in defense of claims of consumer fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices relating to pricing mechanisms.
Professional Liability Defense
- Representation of Chicago-based international law firm in a bench trial in defense of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud claims arising out of a oil and gas venture representation in which damages were claimed to be $1.15 billion (Florida, New York, and Texas law).
- Representation of intellectual property attorney in a jury trial in defense of legal malpractice claims arising out of multiple patent application and prosecution proceedings in which damages were claimed to exceed $80 million (Maryland, Utah, Virginia, and Federal Patent law).
- Representation of Chicago-based international law firm in claims of breach of fiduciary duty and legal malpractice arising from trust and estate representation resulting in a denial of claim for punitive damages (New York and Florida law).
- Representation of Ohio-based national law firm in defense of alleged malpractice in which plaintiff claimed damages to be approximately $40 million.
- Representation of admiralty and maritime law firm in defense of alleged malpractice related to multiple engagements for owner of 120 foot luxury yacht in connection with litigation commenced relating to liability of the vessel owner.
- Representation of international design/build engineering firm in claims involving professional negligence in connection with design of Sawgrass Expressway Re-Design project.
- Representation of design/build engineering firm in claims involving professional negligence in connection with construction design of Martin County bridge project.
- Representation of international pharmaceutical company in defense of whistleblower action arising out of marketing and sales practices relating to Oxycontin©. The case was tried to verdict in a multi-week federal jury trial.
- Representation of international publicly traded home improvement retailer in defense of multiple employment suits including claims for sexual harassment, race discrimination, disability discrimination, and retaliation.
- Representation of large statewide insurance agency in multiple actions to enforce non-compete agreements and protect the client's trade secrets.
- Representation of international entertainment and retail corporation in the defense series or discrimination charges and prosecution by the Civil Rights Division of a large municipality.
- Representation of international entertainment and retail corporation in California wage and hour class action involving application of various exemptions under both California and Federal law.
Carrera 7 # 71-21
Torre A, Piso 8
57 1 745 5720
Torre New York Life
Paseo de la Reforma No. 342, Piso 28
México, D.F. 06600
52 55 3602 8000
25 Old Broad Street
London EC2N 1HQ
44 20 7240 6767
420 L Street, Suite 400
Anchorage, AK 99501
400 South Hope Street, Eighth Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071
50 California Street, Suite 2800
San Francisco, CA 94111
1801 California Street, Suite 5000
Denver, CO 80202
One Stamford Plaza, Suite 1400
263 Tresser Boulevard
Stamford, CT 06901
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
800 Seventeenth Street, NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006
515 East Las Olas Boulevard, Suite 1200
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
50 North Laura Street, Suite 3900
Jacksonville, FL 32202
200 South Orange Avenue, Suite 2600
Orlando, FL 32801
315 South Calhoun Street, Suite 600
Tallahassee, FL 32301
100 North Tampa Street, Suite 4100
Tampa, FL 33602
West Tower, Suite 1900
777 South Flagler Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Regions Plaza, Suite 1800
1180 West Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
150 North Riverside Plaza, Suite 2700
Chicago, IL 60606
10 Saint James Avenue, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02116
31 West 52nd Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10019
101 South Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28280
601 Souhwest Second Avenue, Suite 1800
Portland, OR 97204
2929 Arch Street, Suite 800
Philadelphia, PA 19104
111 Congress Avenue, Suite 540
Austin, TX 78701
200 Crescent Court, Suite 1600
Dallas, TX 75201
1100 Louisiana Street, Suite 4300
Houston, TX 77002
1650 Tysons Boulevard, Suite 1700
Tysons, VA 22102