David I. Spector
Recognized in:Commercial LitigationInsurance Law
Law School:University of Miami School of Law
Location:West Tower, Suite 1100777 South Flagler DriveWest Palm Beach, FL 33401
- University of Miami School of Law, JD, graduated 1996
- Syracuse University, BS, graduated 1993
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Standing Committee of Lawyers' Professional Responsibility - Past Member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Member
- Center for Family Services - Past Board Member
- Opportunity Inc. - Past Board Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Super Lawyers Magazine 2006-2016, Listed in Florida for General Litigation and Employment Litigation - Defense
- Chambers USA 2011-2015, Ranked in Florida for Labor & Employment
- Chambers USA 2013-2016, Ranked in Florida for Litigation: General Commercial
- The Network of Trial Law Firms, Litigation Management: Getting Great Results, Presenter, "Fraud Schemes: Not If But When," April 2016
- Akerman Twentieth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Employment Law Trends: What Employers Need to Know," September 2015
- The Network of Trial Law Firms, Litigation Management Supercourse, Presenter, "You Have the Right to Remain Silent - Sometimes: The Implication of Invoking the Fifth Amendment Privilege," April 2014
- Akerman Nineteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Employment Litigation Trends," April 2014
- Akerman Eighteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Mock Jury Trial of a Retaliation Claim," April 2013
- Akerman Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Privacy Rights in the Workplace," February 2012
- The Network of Trial Law Firms, Co-Author and Continuing Education Presenter, "Areas of Ethical Morass for In-House Counsel," August 2011
- American Bar Association, Continuing Education Seminar Co-Presenter, "What You Say About Your Clients Can Come Back to Haunt You: Internal Firm Communications and the Limits of Attorney-Client Privilege," July 2011
- Akerman Sixteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "(Dis)Order in the Court! Mock Trial of a Sexual Harassment Case," April 2011
- Akerman Client Seminar, Speaker, "Wage & Hour Update: Latest Trends and Compliance Tips," October 2010
- Akerman Fifteenth Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Presenter, "Retaliation and Whistleblower Claims: A Growing Problem for Employers" May 2010
Healthcare and Personal Injury Fraud
- Representation of a national insurance company in an affirmative federal fraud case. Obtained summary judgment in favor of the Plaintiff and established law that provides a clinic license obtained by fraud in void ab initio.
- Representation of a national insurance company in establishing that liability is joint and several among all defendants that participate in a scheme to defraud an insurer.
- Representation of a national insurance company in the first attempt by the insurance industry to sue a medical legal referral service. This case established the right of an insurer to reclaim funds paid when the provider violated Florida's self-referral laws.
- Representation of property and casualty insurer in action to recover insurance benefits which were paid to health care providers and clinic for services which were allegedly unlawful as the clinic was not properly licensed.
- Prosecuted RICO, fraud, and deceptive trade practice claims, including action on behalf of insurance carriers seeking in excess of $35 million in damages against physicians, surgery centers, and medical practice managers relating to certain spinal procedures performed on personal injury claimants.
- Representation of bio tech company in defense of breach of contract, trade secret, and conversion claims resulting from joint venture to promote new pharmaceutical products in which plaintiffs sought $82 million in economic damages.
- Representation of a 50% managing member in claims involving breach of fiduciary duty, defamation, and breach of Florida's LLC Act arising from restructuring of international aviation company.
- Representation of publicly traded commercial landowner involving alleged violations of FCC regulations and tortious interference.
- Representation of client in defense of action brought by minority interest holder in challenge for corporate control of entity and intellectual property rights to FDA cleared medical device.
- Representation of client in defense of federal court litigation commenced against Board of Directors of New York-based international law firm involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty partnership dispute asserted by former equity partners (New York and Florida law).
- Representation of publicly traded software company in litigation involving breach of contract, fraud, and request for receiver brought by former joint venture partner.
- Representation of client in multi-case litigation involving claims of alleged fraudulent transfers in connection with investments made in residential development entity and fraud claims brought against opposing 50% member in LLC.
- Representation of publicly traded international office supply retailer in defense of claims of consumer fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices relating to pricing mechanisms.
Professional Liability Defense
- Representation of Chicago-based international law firm in a bench trial in defense of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud claims arising out of a oil and gas venture representation in which damages were claimed to be $1.15 billion (Florida, New York, and Texas law).
- Representation of intellectual property attorney in a jury trial in defense of legal malpractice claims arising out of multiple patent application and prosecution proceedings in which damages were claimed to exceed $80 million (Maryland, Utah, Virginia, and Federal Patent law).
- Representation of Chicago-based international law firm in claims of breach of fiduciary duty and legal malpractice arising from trust and estate representation resulting in a denial of claim for punitive damages (New York and Florida law).
- Representation of Ohio-based national law firm in defense of alleged malpractice in which plaintiff claimed damages to be approximately $40 million.
- Representation of admiralty and maritime law firm in defense of alleged malpractice related to multiple engagements for owner of 120 foot luxury yacht in connection with litigation commenced relating to liability of the vessel owner.
- Representation of international design/build engineering firm in claims involving professional negligence in connection with design of Sawgrass Expressway Re-Design project.
- Representation of design/build engineering firm in claims involving professional negligence in connection with construction design of Martin County bridge project.
- Representation of international pharmaceutical company in defense of whistleblower action arising out of marketing and sales practices relating to Oxycontin©. The case was tried to verdict in a multi-week federal jury trial.
- Representation of international publicly traded home improvement retailer in defense of multiple employment suits including claims for sexual harassment, race discrimination, disability discrimination, and retaliation.
- Representation of large statewide insurance agency in multiple actions to enforce non-compete agreements and protect the client's trade secrets.
- Representation of international entertainment and retail corporation in the defense series or discrimination charges and prosecution by the Civil Rights Division of a large municipality.
- Representation of international entertainment and retail corporation in California wage and hour class action involving application of various exemptions under both California and Federal law.
601 West Fifth Street, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90071
1900 Sixteenth Street, Suite 1700
Denver, CO 80202
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
750 Ninth Street, NW, Suite 750
Washington, DC 20001
1875 NW Corporate Boulevard, Suite 275
Boca Raton, FL 33431
350 East Las Olas Boulevard, Suite 1600
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
50 North Laura Street, Suite 3100
Jacksonville, FL 32202
9128 Strada Place, Suite 10205
Naples, FL 34108
420 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1200
Orlando, FL 32801
251 Royal Palm Way, Suite 215
Palm Beach, FL 33480
106 East College Avenue, 12th Floor
Tallahassee, FL 32301
401 East Jackson Street, Suite 1700
Tampa, FL 33602
West Tower, Suite 1100
777 South Flagler Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
71 South Wacker Drive, 46th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606
Pan-American Life Center, Suite 2200
601 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
1160 Town Center Drive, Suite 330
Las Vegas, NV 89144
666 Fifth Avenue, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10103
700 Lavaca Street, Suite 1400
Austin, TX 78701
2001 Ross Avenue, Suite 3600
Dallas, TX 75201
1300 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 2500
Houston, TX 77056
Weston Centre, Suite 2750
112 East Pecan Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
170 South Main Street, Suite 950
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
One South Pinckney Street, Suite 700
Madison, WI 53703