Dave Cisar is a Shareholder and chairs the Banking and Commercial Finance Section in the Milwaukee office of von Briesen & Roper, s.c. He represents financial institutions and businesses in all aspects of commercial finance, including commercial loans, inter-creditor agreements, participation agreements, syndicated loans, factoring and other financing transactions. Dave also has extensive experience with and frequently represents creditors in workouts, foreclosures, bankruptcy, creditors’ rights and related commercial (including UCC) litigation.
Dave has a strong focus on the Uniform Commercial Code. He was active in the review of and in promoting the enactment in Wisconsin of numerous statutory revisions to the Uniform Commercial Code, including UCC Revised Article 9 (2000), and the more recent enactment in Wisconsin of the 2010 amendments to UCC Article 9. He testified before state legislators with regard to passage of Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code and the repeal of UCC Article 6 (bulk sales) in Wisconsin. He recently authored the chapter, "Documents of Title and UCC Article 7" in the State Bar of Wisconsin publication, "Commercial and Consumer Transactions in Wisconsin."
He is a frequent speaker on UCC law, banking, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights. He has given presentations for the Wisconsin Bankers Association, the Corporate Practice Institute, numerous Bar Association groups, and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Dave has authored the following published articles:
- “Is Dewsnup Unravelling Due to Lien-Stripping Cases under § 1322(b)(2)” ABI Journal, Feb. 2017
- “Use It or Lose It? Priority Disputes Over Deposit Accounts” ABI Journal, Feb. 2016
- “Post-Petition Application of Payments from Rent Collateral” ABI Journal, Feb. 2015
- “Applying § 362(d)(4)(A) to the Collapsed Debtor” ABI Journal, Feb. 2014
- “No Second Chances: Serial Filing Effectively Prohibited in Small Business Chapter 11s” ABI Journal, Feb. 2011
- “Withdrawing the Reference and its Strategic Application in Bankruptcy Litigation,” ABI Journal, Feb. 2009
- “Secured Letters of Credit and the §502(b)(6) Cap on Lease Rejection Damages” ABI Journal, Feb. 2005.
- “Exclusive and Non-Exclusive IP Licenses and Executory Contract Assumption and Assignment: Does Exclusivity Matter?” ABI Journal, Feb. 2003
- “WARN Act Pre-emption Helps Secured Creditors,” ABI Journal, Feb. 2000
- “The Enforceability of Dragnet Clauses,” ABI Journal, Feb. 1999
- “The Floating Lien on Inventory and Accounts and the Improvement in Position Test: How Safe Is the §547 (C) (5) Safe Harbor?” ABI Journal, Dec./Jan. 1998.