David is a partner of INQ Law and concentrates his practice on privacy, data protection, access to information and data governance. With more than 30 years of experience, David was a senior information and privacy regulator and has deep expertise in the application and enforcement of privacy and access laws.
Over his career, David has held the roles of assistant commissioner, director of legal services, and manager of adjudication with Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner. He is an experienced litigator, and has appeared before the Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
David has a history of strong constructive relationships with key access and privacy stakeholders, including Ontario government ministries and agencies, municipalities, school boards, police services, hospitals, and information and privacy regulators across and outside Canada.
David is the author of the only textbook on Ontario’s privacy and access laws, 2020-2021 Annotated Ontario Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Acts, published by Thomson Reuters. David also teaches privacy law and administrative law at Osgoode Hall Law School and the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Law.
David is a recognized thought leader in privacy and access to information, and has been quoted by CBC, the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Star and IT World. He is also a sought-after public speaker and has given presentations at high-profile conferences and public events, including the Canadian Bar Association, the International Association of Privacy Professionals, and the U.S. Association of Corporate Counsel, and the Sedona Conference (e-Discovery).
- Designed and implemented comprehensive codes of procedure for hearings under FIPPA, MFIPPA and PHIPA
- Conducted substantive and procedural training sessions for privacy officers, in-house and outside lawyers, adjudicators and mediators
- Designed and implemented comprehensive procedures for matters under the Public Service of Ontario Act for the Conflict of Interest Commissioner
Insights & Recognition
- Author, 2020-2021 Annotated Ontario Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Acts
- Co-author, Law Society of Ontario Bar Admission course materials: Privacy and access law
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, Global Professional Master of Laws Program (Adjunct Professor)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (Instructor)
- Canadian Bar Association (Member)
- Council on Governmental Ethics Laws (Steering Committee Member)
- Society of Ontario Adjudicators and Regulators (Instructor)