Darren McGuire is a partner in our Montréal office and National Leader of our Maritime Law Group and Regional Leader of our Business Immigration Group. Admitted to the Québec Bar in 1992, Darren obtained his Civil Law and Common Law degrees from McGill University.
He also holds a Master of Business Administration Degree (M.B.A.) (Concordia University - 1991) as well as a Bachelor of Arts, Major in Economics (with Distinction) (McGill University - 1986).
Areas of Practice
- Darren's two main areas of practice include Maritime / Transportation law and Business Immigration.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Selected by peers for inclusion The Best Lawyers in Canada (Immigration Law) since 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Peer Review Rated (Maritime Law)
- Business Immigration: acts as counsel to many small, mid-size and large multi-national companies in, amongst others, the high technology, cosmetics, tobacco, entertainment, hotel, financial services (banking and accounting) and other industries on various immigration and related issues.
- Maritime Law / Transportation: acts as counsel to shipowners, charterers, shippers, freight forwarders, truckers, as well as their respective agents and insurers in both commercial contexts and before the courts and administrative tribunals.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association and Montreal Bar Association
- Member of the Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Member of the Association of Maritime Arbitrators of Canada
- Member of the Québec Association of Immigration Lawyers
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association's Immigration Section
- Former member of the Shipping Federation of Canada's Joint Working Group on Immigration Matters
- Former President of the Grunt Club Inc. – the marine community of the Port of Montreal (2009-2010)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Canadian Athletic Foundation
- Member of the Advisory Committee of the Point St.Charles Hall of Recognition Foundation
- Member of the Point St.Charles Hall of Recognition Foundation's Scholarship Selection Committee
- Speaker at various conferences relating to transportation and immigration law
- Contributor to newsletters and publications on immigration and maritime issues