Darrell Podowski is a partner in the firm’s Securities Group and Mining Group. Darrell practices business, mergers and acquisitions, mining and securities law, advising mining, industrial, entertainment, technology, and biotechnology companies on going public transactions, corporate finance, merger and acquisition transactions and general corporate commercial matters in Canada and internationally. As a result of Darrell’s seven years of experience as an exploration geophysicist with Amoco Canada Petroleum Company and four years of experience as in-house Corporate Counsel to Teck Resources Limited, Darrell possesses a particularly strong understanding of the practical commercial needs of his clients. In addition, he has a great deal of experience with Latin America-related transactions and has extensive offshore experience as a result of his two-and-a-half years working in Bermuda with a large offshore law firm.
Darrell’s recent transactions include:
- Acting for Antofagasta plc on its acquisition of 50% (plus operatorship) of the Zaldivar Copper Mine located in Chile from Barrick Gold Corporation for US$1.005 billion
- Acting for Antofagasta plc on its acquisition of Duluth Metals Limited by way of a plan of arrangement, and on the acquisition of Duluth’s outstanding convertible debentures, for a total transaction cost of approximately C$96 million
- Acting for Antofagasta Minerals S.A. of Santiago, Chile on numerous option and joint venture earn-ins and strategic alliances for copper projects worldwide and in the US$227 million joint venture transaction with Duluth Metals Limited in connection with a copper-nickel PGM project in Minnesota, USA
- Acting for Delta Gold Corporation in the acquisition of the Imperial Gold Project in California, USA and its subsequent listing on the TSX Venture Exchange
- Acting for Batero Gold Corp. in its qualifying transaction and TSX Venture Exchange listing and subsequent strategic financing
- Acting for Orsa Ventures Corp is its sale to Alamos Gold Inc. pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement
- Acting jointly for Teck Resources Limited and Fronteer Development Group Inc. in the completion of the sale of 100% of the jointly held Agi Dagi and Kirazli gold projects located in Turkey to Alamos Gold Inc. for US$90 million
- Acting for Teck Cominco Limited in the US$110 million sale to Kinross Gold Corporation of its 60% interest in the Lobo Marte copper/gold project in
To view Darrell's complete profile, please click here.