Recognized since 2020
San Francisco, California
Employment Law - Individuals
Daniel M. Hutchinson chairs the firm’s employment practice group and supports the firm’s employment cases. His practice has been focused on litigating, settling, and taking to trial complex class actions that have advanced the public interest. As a partner at Lieff Cabraser, Daniel served as lead or co-lead counsel on cases that recovered over $800 million for his clients in all variety of industries and across myriad discrimination, unpaid wages, ERISA, consumer protection, and financial fraud cases.
Daniel’s employment litigation experience spreads across a wide variety of industries, He was a key player representing Indian nationals in wage theft litigation against Tata, taking the overtime claims of information technology workers to a trial victory against CSC, and litigating the discrimination claims of female managers at Costco.
Daniel has pursued dozens of class action consumer protection cases against major banks and financial services providers that place robocalls to consumers. Daniel’s efforts helped result in the largest monetary settlements in the history of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and ended harassing robocalls to millions of consumers.Daniel has been recognized as a nationwide leader in employment law. In 2014, Law360 acknowledged Daniel as one of six of the nation’s top employment lawyers under 40. The Daily Journal named him as a “Top 40 Under 40” leading lawyer in California. The Recorder endorsed him as one of “50 Lawyers on the Fast Track.” Daniel has spoken and presented papers at national employment and consumer law conferences, including events sponsored by the American Bar Association’s Section of Labor and Employment Law, the Mason Judicial Education Program, the Practising Law Institute, the Impact Fund, the UCLA School of Law, the National Employment Lawyers Association, and the Consumer Attorneys of California. Daniel has served as the Board Chair for the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights.
From 1999 to 2002, Daniel worked as a public school teacher in Oakland, California, where he still lives with his wife, Angelica, and their two children.
Contact & Links
- 275 Battery Street, 29th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
- University of California Berkeley, J.D., graduated 2005
- University of California Berkeley, Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, graduated 2002
- Brown University, B.A., graduated 1999
- California, 2005
- American Bar Association - Journal of Labor & Employment Law Editorial Board, 2022
- American Bar Association - Section of Labor & Employment Law Leadership Development Program, 2009 – 2010
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers - Leadership Development Committee, 2008 – 2010
- Bar Association of San Francisco - Vice Chair, Cybersecurity and Privacy Law Section
- Consumer Attorneys of California - Member
- Law360 - Editorial Advisory Board, Employment, 2021
- Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area - Board Chair, 2015; Chair-Elect, 2014; Board Secretary, 2011 – 2013; Board of Directors, 2009 – Present
- National Bar Association - Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association - Member
- State Bar of California - Member
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2022
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit, 2020
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2023
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2006
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Employment Law - Individuals
- Selected for inclusion by peers in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of "Employment Law-Individuals," 2020 - 2023
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment & Civil Rights Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2018-2022
- "Super Lawyer for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2013-2022
- "Rising Star," Law360, 2014
- Legal 500 recommended lawyer, LegalEase, 2013
- "Rising Star for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2009-2012
- "50 Lawyers on the Fast Track," The Recorder, 2012
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.