Recognized since 1989
Criminal Defense: General Practice
Criminal Defense: White-Collar
Whether by obtaining an acquittal of his white-collar client at the conclusion of the prosecutor's opening statement, or proving that the drug dog's sensitive nose has been kicked by a horse, during the past 45 years, Dan Monnat has been recognized as a creative trial and appellate criminal defense lawyer. He co-founded Monnat & Spurrier, Chartered, a criminal defense trial and appellate firm in Wichita, Kansas, in 1985.
A graduate of the Creighton University School of Law and Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyer's College, Mr. Monnat is a two-term past President of the Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He served eight years on the Board of Directors of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the American Board of Criminal Lawyers, the Litigation Counsel of America, the American Bar Foundation and the Kansas Bar Foundation.
In 2007, then-Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius appointed Mr. Monnat to the Kansas Sentencing Commission, acknowledging his lifelong career as a trial and appellate litigator and legal scholar. Mr. Monnat has been listed as one of the “Top 100" lawyers in the Missouri & Kansas edition of Super Lawyers for more than a decade, and named to Super Lawyers' “Top 10” list in Missouri & Kansas every year since 2018. He has been listed in Best Lawyers in America® for 35 years.
Mr. Monnat is frequently published and lectures throughout the United States on a variety of criminal defense topics. He is licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, and the Federal and State Courts in Kansas.
- 200 West Douglas Avenue, Suite 830
Olive W. Garvey Building
Wichita, KS 67202
- Creighton University , J.D.
- Kansas, Kansas
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Kansas Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers - Fellow
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- National Association of Criminal Defense Laywers - Past Board Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
- Kansas Association of Trial Lawyers - Board of Governors, Board of Editors, and Executive Committee Criminal Law Chair
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Past President
- Kansas Sentencing Commission - Past Member
- District Courts of Kansas
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Criminal Defense: General Practice, Wichita (2014)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Wichita (2012)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Criminal Defense: General Practice
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Appellate Practice
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Civil and Criminal
- Criminal Defense
- Drug Offenses
- Government Investigations
- Juvenile Criminal Defense
- Sex Abuse
- Violent and Nonviolent Crimes
- Top 10 of Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers - 2018 - 2022
- Top 100 of Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers 2005 - 2014, 2016 - 2022
- Best Lawyers in America 1989 - 2023
- Best Lawyers Wichita Lawyer of the Year, Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2014
- Best Lawyers Wichita Lawyer of the Year, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2012
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer in Litigation: White-Collar Crime and Government Investigations - 2011 - 2022
- Who's Who Legal: Government Investigations, 2017-present
- America's Top 100 Attorneys Lifetime Achievement, 2017
- National Directory of Criminal Defense Lawyers Editions 1 - 3
- Martindale-Hubble AV Rating
- Fellow - Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow - Kansas Bar Foundation
- Fellow - International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow - American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow - American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- American Trial Lawyers Association Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defense, 2014-present
- Panelist - Merit Committee to select Magistrate for United States District Court for the District of Kansas
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.