With extensive tax law experience, Brett specializes in corporate tax planning, focusing on public reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, international tax and dispute resolution.
Brett is ranked as a Canadian Lexpert® leading lawyer, shaping tax and business strategies as one of our co-managing partners in Calgary. He is also recognized as a leading tax lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada.
Holding his Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Laws degrees, he brings deep technical knowledge and problem-solving skills, allowing him to achieve the best results for his clients. He also gives back to the community as a board member for Pro Bono Law Alberta.
Brett shares his tax law knowledge and expertise both as a sessional instructor at the University of Calgary Faculty of Law and as a speaker at a variety of tax conferences, seminars and industry association meetings.
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2004
- Law Clerk to the Honourable Justice John C. Major at the Supreme Court of Canada, 2003-2004
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (with Distinction), University of Calgary, 2003
- Awarded the William A. McGillivray Gold Medal in Law
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc), University of Calgary, 1998
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Board Member, Pro Bono Law Alberta (former Vice-chair)
- Former Board Chair, Children’s Legal & Educational Resource Centre (CLERC)
- Past Chair, Taxation Non-Specialists Sub-Section, Alberta Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation, International Fiscal Association, Canadian Branch