Christopher M. Caputo is a shareholder in the Nashville and Memphis offices of Baker Donelson, where he practices construction law and litigation and leads the Firm's Tennessee construction practice. While he is a Tennessee-based construction attorney, Mr. Caputo represents and counsels public and private owners, contractors and subcontractors, suppliers, insurers, financial institutions and design professionals throughout the entire United States and abroad, serving his construction clients in contract negotiations and construction disputes wherever they arise.
Mr. Caputo counsels his construction clients through all stages of construction and development of a project, with extensive knowledge and experience in the negotiation and drafting of construction and development contracts and other supplemental agreements, including many of the standard construction forms used worldwide. He has litigated numerous complex construction claims related to the recovery of contract balances and defective work, as well as schedule-related claims, including liquidated damage claims arising out of delay, disruption or acceleration. In addition to his representation of construction clients in various state and federal courts, Mr. Caputo has participated in various forms of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation.
Along with transactional and litigation work, Mr. Caputo consults clients relative to licensing issues, the formation of joint-ventures and other special purpose entities, and in connection with bid protests and other public bidding issues.
Mr. Caputo has been named as a SuperLawyer and one of the Best Lawyers in America in the field of construction law and is proficient in Italian. He has lectured on various construction-related topics to Memphis and national industry groups.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Caputo is the author of numerous books and articles on Construction law topics, and is a frequent lecturer on construction law for groups and organizations, including the American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry and Construction Financial Management Association. He has also provided private seminars to international design/build infrastructure firms.
- Program Chair - "The Lay of the Land Dictates the Strategy Employed," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry Fall Meeting, Atlanta, GA, October 2011
- Speaker – "Building Information Modeling: Risks and Rewards," with Kevin Bromenshenk of Flintco Constructive Solutions, West Tennessee Associated Builders and Contractors Monthly Luncheon, July 14, 2011
- Author – "Mediation Matters: Successful mediation requires commitment to compromise in settling dispute," Memphis Business Journal, June 2010
- Speaker – "Avoiding Ethical Pitfalls: How to Respond to a Motion to Disqualify," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry Annual Meeting, La Quinta, California, 2008
- Author – "Obtaining Judicial Relief From an Improper Arbitration Award on the Basis of Corruption, Fraud, Undue Means, The Failure to Hear Material Evidence, or Other Misbehavior Prejudicing the Rights of a Party," Construction Briefings, West Publishing, July 2007
- Speaker – "Design Law for Tennessee Architects & Engineers," Memphis, Tennessee, May 2007
- Speaker – "Construction Contracts: Form and Substance," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry Fall Meeting, Tampa, Florida, October 2004
- Speaker – "Construction Site Related Agreements," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry Fall Meeting, Tampa, Florida, October 2004
- Author – "Condo Owners Must Work Together," Massachusetts Real Estate Bar Journal, Summer 2004
- Speaker – "Tennessee Construction Liens: Bonding and Indemnity Issues," Construction Financial Management Association, Memphis, Tennessee, November 2002
- Speaker – "Construction Management/Design-Build," Lorman Seminar, Memphis, Tennessee, June 2002
- Speaker – "Inside Forum Selection Clauses," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry
- Speaker – "Construction Law for Architects and Engineers," Half Moon Seminars
- Speaker – "Tennessee Lien Law," Construction Financial Management Association
- Speaker – "Practical Tips for Design/Build Construction," Camp Dresser McKee