Recognized since 2007
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Nonprofit / Charities Law
Trusts and Estates
Mr. Ballard focuses his practice in estate planning, trusts administration, nonprofit organizations, taxation and business planning.
Mr. Ballard is a recipient of the 2007Attorney of the Year Award from Community Legal Resources. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Ballard currently serves on the Board of Directors of FIRST (Michigan), the Board of Directors of the Dispute Resolution Center in Ann Arbor, the Governance Committee of Nonprofit Enterprise at Work (NEW) in Ann Arbor, on the Advisory Board of the Eyak Preservation Council in Cordova, AK, and on the Certifying Board of the National Association of Legal Assistants in Tulsa, OK.
Before joining Honigman, Mr. Ballard was a partner at the Bodman law firm. He was previously a shareholder with Foster, Swift, Collins & Smith in Lansing and worked as a tax associate with a major accounting firm.Recent Presentations and Publications
- “Ten Things Every Lawyer Should Know About Nonprofit Corporations,” Institute of Continuing Legal Education, May 6, 2008
- “Getting Your Family Board in Order,” Council of Michigan Foundations, October 23, 2007
- “Exempt Organization Compensation Arrangements,” October 16, 2006
- “Trust Administration in Michigan,” Institute of Continuing Legal Education, September 24, 2004 and October 14, 2004
- “Revised Uniform Principle and Income Act,” Commentator, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, September 29, 2004
- Author, “Accounting for Trusts,” Trust Administration in Michigan, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2003; 2005
Contact & Links
- 101 North Main Street, Suite 525
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan Probate Council - council member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Trusts and Estates, Ann Arbor (2021)
- Trusts and Estates, Ann Arbor (2019)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Nonprofit / Charities Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Charitable Gift Planning
- Private Foundations
- Tax-Exempt Organizations
"Christopher Ballard is excellent, patient, knowledgeable, flexible, and very client-centered."
"Chris Ballard has been professional, civil, engaging, and forthright in all matters."
- James I. Downing (Ameriprise Financial Services, Inc.), Ann Arbor, MI
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.