Recognized since 2007
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice
Litigation - Intellectual Property
Litigation - Patent
Mr. Calkins, a registered patent attorney, has over 20 years of experience in client counseling and portfolio management in patent procurement, licensing and enforcement, primarily in the life sciences, chemical, medical and computer software arts. His current practice also focuses on the corporate and transactional aspects of intellectual property, including licensing, merger, acquisition and/or equity investment due diligence.
Mr. Calkins' experiences allow him to understand the business value of intellectual property and work with clients to maximize return on their investments. Mr. Calkins has worked with companies, investment banks, private equity groups, venture capitalists and other institutional investment groups to conduct due diligence and provide counseling relating to over 100 potential investments, acquisitions and/or mergers ranging in size from several hundreds of thousands of dollars to over one billion dollars. He also has experience working with government contracts. In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Calkins is a Chair of the Piedmont Angel Network, and is an investor in emerging technology companies and active in the regional and national technology communities. He is also Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board at University of North Carolina Greensboro.
Contact & Links
- 1001 West Fourth Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101-2400
- Boston University, graduated 1984
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, graduated 1981
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- Massachusetts, Massachusetts Bar Association
- North Carolina, North Carolina Bar Association
- Piedmont Angel Network - Chair
- NC Bar Association IP Section Counsel - Past Chair
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Patent Law, Triad (2023)
- Litigation - Patent, Triad (2022)
- Patent Law, Triad (2021)
- Litigation - Intellectual Property, Triad (2020)
- Litigation - Patent, Greensboro (2019)
- Patent Law, Greensboro (2018)
- Litigation - Patent, Greensboro (2017)
- Patent Law, Greensboro (2015)
- Patent Law, Greensboro (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Patent
- Patent Law
- Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice
- Business Planning
"Charles Calkins is always prepared, responsive, thorough, and knowledgeable in all facets of our patent practice. Charles and his team are invaluable assets to our team."
- Tarek Azhari (Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.