Charles draws on over 20 years of skills, expertise and experience in workplace relations and safety law. In additional to legal practice, Charles has served as an associate to a senior deputy president of the Australian Industrial Relations Commission. In 1995 and 1996 Charles served as a Canberra-based adviser to a federal government minister.
Charles gives legal advice and representation to organisations and individuals in all areas of the discipline, including:
- minimising legal risks associated with recruitment, including advice and drafting documents to address legal exposure to trade practices, discrimination and privacy laws, in advertising for, and interviewing and selecting candidates
- negotiating, drafting, implementing and enforcing employment contracts, human resources policies and procedures and enterprise agreements
- protecting intellectual property, confidential information and goodwill through drafting and implementing appropriate contractual provisions, and enforcing them where necessary
- managing and regulating employee behaviours in a legally effective manner through development and implementation of appropriate human resources policies, procedures and guidelines; disciplinary and performance management actions
- minimising legal exposure in workplace change, including compliance with consultation and dispute resolution requirements, redundancy, retrenchment and redeployment, and transfer of business and outsourcing/insourcing
- dealing with requirements of law and best practice in managing the interaction between work on the one hand and family and disability on the other
- wrongful and unfair dismissal, general protections, sexual harassment and discrimination complaints
- compliance with industrial and workplace health and safety laws and represents them in investigations and prosecutions undertaken by the regulators
- enterprise bargaining, good faith requirements, capacity for tribunal intervention, protected (and unprotected) industrial action, making and implementing agreements.
Charles was accredited by the Law Institute of Victoria in 2006 as a workplace relations specialist. He is Editor-in-Chief of the Employment Law Practical Handbook, with over 4,000 subscribers nationally.
Aside from his listing in Best Lawyers in Australia, Charles is also recognised in the 2020 edition of Doyle's Guide as a Leading Employment Lawyer (Employer Representation) in Victoria and Australia.