Recognized since 2007
Rochelle Park, New Jersey
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Litigation - Bankruptcy
Charles M. Forman, senior member of Forman Holt, is a nationally recognized leader in the field of insolvency and bankruptcy law in the region with more than 40 years of experience as an attorney for debtors and creditors in addition to his service as a member of the private panel of trustees appointed by the United States Department of Justice. Mr. Forman also has served as an attorney for other trustees and as a fiduciary in numerous state and federal court proceedings.
He's a modern day "Robin Hood" who makes extraordinary efforts to recover funds for creditors. - Bankruptcy Insider magazine
In his capacity as a trustee, Mr. Forman has administered more than 20,000 Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases, including many of the most complex cases that have been filed in this region during the past four decades. The cases he has overseen include household names such as Linens 'n Things, Workbench Furniture, Russ Berrie Toys and Upsala College. In addition, his assignments have included serving as trustee for NJ Affordable Homes, a $100 million real estate Ponzi scheme, and Omne Staffing a $350 million per year employee staffing company.
During the course of his 40 year career he has administered approximately one-half billion dollars in assets and distributed hundreds of millions of dollars to creditors in order to satisfy their claims against the various bankruptcy estates which Mr. Forman has administered.
Named "Master of Disaster" by The Bergen Record for his skill and achievements in handling complex and challenging bankruptcy cases.
"U.S. Attorney Ralph J. Marra, Jr. thanked Charles M. Forman, Esq., who serves as the bankruptcy trustee for NJAH in its Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation, for his assistance and cooperation." - FBI Press Release
The United States Department of Justice recognized the excellence of Mr. Forman's performance as a trustee when it awarded him the Director's Award for Outstanding Achievements by a Private Trustee. Mr. Forman is the only panel trustee ever to be recognized by the Department of Justice for his service.
In addition to serving as a Trustee in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 cases, Mr. Forman has been selected to serve as Liquidating Trustee, Plan Administrator, Independent Director, and Member of the Oversight Committee for confirmed plans. In the State Courts Mr. Forman has served as the Assignee and as Assignor for the Benefit of Creditors, and as a Special Fiscal Agent with broad oversight over Debtors' operations.
In 2016, Mr. Forman received the Lifetime Achievement Award from The New Jersey Law Journal. In 2020, he was recognized by Best Lawyers of America as Lawyer of the Year for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization. In 2021, he was recognized by Best Lawyers of America as Lawyer of the Year for Bankruptcy Litigation. In 2022 and 2023 Mr. Forman was selected amount the Top 100 New Jersey Super Lawyers.
The Chambers 2021, 2022 and 2023 edition recognized Mr. Forman as a second tier attorney in the field of bankruptcy for New Jersey. Chambers described Mr. Forman as a "business-minded lawyer" and "very smart and skilled practitioner".
Mr. Forman's efforts and accomplishments have been reported in publication s such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Forbes Magazine.
Mr. Forman is founder of the firm. His combined background in business, law and engineering and his creative approach to problem solving have served him well in connection with the many varied and complex assignments that he has handled including matters in the areas of telecommunications, manufacturing, real estate, employee benefits and health care, retail operations, securities law and other complex areas.
In addition to serving as an attorney and a fiduciary, Mr. Forman also has been a court-approved mediator on the panel of mediators for the Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey. In that capacity he has been called upon to mediate numerous complex matters for the courts in New Jersey.
- Best Lawyers in America - 2007-2023
- Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year for Litigation - Bankruptcy 2021
- Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law - 2020
- Lifetime Achievement Award - New Jersey Law Journal - 2016
- New York Magazine - The New York Area's Best Lawyers - 2012-2022
- New Jersey Super Lawyers - 2005-2023 : Selected among top 100 for 2012, 2022 and 2023
- Who's Who in America - 2020-2021
- Top ranking in Bankruptcy/Restructuring by Chambers & Partners USA, 2015-2023
- 201 Magazine: Named one of Bergen's Top Lawyers multiple years, including 2022
- Outstanding Alumnus by Newark College of Engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology - 2006
- United States Department of Justice - Executive Director's Award for Outstanding Achievements - 2002
- New Jersey Institute of Technology - President of Student Government, Editor-in-Chief of Student Newspaper, Varsity Tennis, Omicron Delta Kappa (Chapter President), Alpha Pi Mu (Vice President), Pi Delta Epsilon (Chapter President and National Medal of Merit Award), Pi Kappa Phi (Chapter President)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology - President of the Alumni Association - 1990, 2007 and 2008
- New Jersey Institute of Technology - Board of Overseers - Audit Committee - 2021 - 2023
- New Jersey Institute of Technology - Outstanding Achievement Award for Exceptional Achievements in Career, Public Service and Volunteer Activities - May 2023
- Litigation - Bankruptcy, Hackensack (2021)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Hackensack (2020)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.