Recognized since 2016
San Francisco, California
Chuck Miller is a mediator, arbitrator and trial attorney who specializes in complex business litigation matters. He also is one of the founding principals of the firm and founded its franchise practice group. Over his years of practice, he has worked with numerous high profile and highly respected attorneys, judges, and businesses throughout the country.
Mr. Miller is a strong believer in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and other methods that work to avoid or streamline litigation. His objective has always been to litigate in an efficient manner, utilizing the resources of the firm in such a way as to minimize the costs and expenses to the client. Mr. Miller’s capable demeanor, legal acumen, and effectual communication style has served him well over the years and today he is more and more called upon to mediate and arbitrate matters. He is a people-person who knows the ins and outs of the ADR process and works diligently to resolve disputes on behalf of all parties involved. He also serves as an expert witness, principally in franchising disputes. Mr. Miller has completed a course in Early Dispute Resolution (“EDR”) and is now EDR certified. EDR is an innovative approach to dispute resolution. It cuts through lots of red tape associated with normal ADR and results in a cost-effective and speedy result. It is designed to focus on the key issues and what is really needed to resolve the dispute.
Mr. Miller also acts as a neutral both for the Early Neutral Evaluation and Mediation Program for the federal court in San Francisco. He has served as a neutral arbitrator and chair on arbitrations administered by the American Arbitration Association in a number of matters, including wrongful termination of franchise, failure to renew franchise, breach of implied and express contract when franchisor acquires other brands, misrepresentations or omissions in franchise disclosure documents, and software failures. In addition to matters that can be arbitrated in one day, Mr. Miller has also been called and has handled multi-day, complex case arbitrations.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Miller has handled legal matters including class actions and multi-district litigation in various state and federal courts. Known for his keen understanding of the franchise business and industry, Mr. Miller has handled a number of franchise and distribution cases and has been a featured speaker at the American Bar Association’s Forum on Franchise and programs of the International Franchise Association. He has published a number of articles on litigation and franchise issues and has been certified as a specialist in Franchise and Distribution Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
- Lawyer Page: https://www.bzbm.com/attorney/charles-g-miller/
- One Embarcadero Center, Suite 800
San Francisco, CA 94111
- University of California Berkeley, J.D., graduated 1966
- University of California Berkeley, B.A. (Political Science),, graduated 1963
- California, The State Bar of California 12/23/1966
- American Bar Association - Dispute Resolution and Litigation Sections and Forum Committee on Franchising.
- American Arbitration Association - Neutral Arbitrator.
- International Bar Association - Member.
- International Franchise Association Legal/Legislative Committee - Member.
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference – Northern District of California - Lawyer Representative 2004-2007.
- The State Bar of California - Franchise and Distribution Law Advisory Commission 2008-2011 .
- The State Bar of California - Franchise Law Committee Co-Chair, 2002 and Member, 2013-2016.
- United States District Court, Northern District of California, Early Neutral Evaluation Panel and Mediation Panel - Member.
- Franchise Law
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Arbitration and Mediation
- Financial Institution Litigation
- Franchise and Distribution
- 1978-2022, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating, 5 Stars.
- 2004-2005, Franchise Times-Legal Eagle.
- 2005-2022 Northern California Super Lawyer.
- 2009, Franchise Times-Legal Eagle.
- 2009-2022 Ranked in Chambers.
- 2011-2017, Franchise Times-Legal Eagle.
- 2016-2022 Best Lawyers.
- 2021 Who's Who Legal-Global Leader, Franchise.
- Appellate Practice
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Civil Rights Law
- Corporate Law
- Criminal Defense: General Practice
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Mass Tort Litigation
- Real Estate Law
- Securities / Capital Markets Law
- Trademark Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.