Recognized since 2011
Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
Charles is a board-certified civil trial lawyer and primarily represents property owners in securing just compensation when government takes private property for public use. While his experience has included takings projects for highway expansion, pipelines, electric transmission lines, and flood control, Charles’s principal practice is focused on highway and roadway widening projects impacting retail, commercial, and industrial uses.
Charles has obtained successful special commissioners’ awards, jury verdicts, settlements, and judgments for clients in condemnation cases across the State, including Harris County, Fort Bend County, Montgomery County, Waller County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Williamson County, Dallas County, Matagorda County, Wharton County, Angelina County, Austin County, San Jacinto County, Titus County, Presidio County, and Val Verde County.
Charles’s business acumen and legal ability is well-regarded in legal community, as exemplified by his selection by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® and Texas Super Lawyers in the practice area of Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law. Charles has the AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest possible rating for both ethical standards and legal ability.
He has handled appeals of condemnation cases and other matters in the First, Fourth, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Thirteenth, and Fourteenth Courts of Appeals and in the Texas Supreme Court. Charles was formerly a partner in the Condemnation and Land Use Litigation practice group of Vinson & Elkins LLP.
He has been board certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Trial Law since 2003.
- 811 Louisiana Street, Suite 2520
Houston, TX 77002-1401
- The University of Texas, Juris Doctorate, with honors, graduated 1995
- The University of Texas, BA, with honors, graduated 1991
- Texas, State Bar of Texas
- Counselors of Real Estate - Member
- Damages Subcommittee of the Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Litigation Committee of the Section of Litigation of the American Bar Association - Former Chair
- Houston Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Owners' Counsel of America - Texas Representative
- Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists - Board Member, Former President
- Texas Bar Foundation - Fellow
- University of Texas School of Law - Keeton Fellow
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Houston (2020)
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Best Lawyers in America, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, 2011-2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, 2020 Lawyer of the Year
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law
- Keeton Fellow
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2012-2022
- Top 100: 2020 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2021 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2022 Houston Super Lawyers
- Litigation - Real Estate
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.