Reed Smith LLP
Recognized since 2006
Employment Law - Management
Labor Law - Management
Litigation - Labor and Employment
Casey is the Global Head of Legal Personnel and a member of the firm's Senior Management Team.
A member of the firm's Labor & Employment Group, Casey is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Casey represents employers in a wide variety of employment-related disputes, including harassment, retaliation, discrimination, wrongful discharge, equal pay and breach of contract litigation. She has successfully litigated in federal and state courts throughout the United States, and routinely appears before both federal and state agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and various state human relations commissions. She also has successfully defended employers in employment class actions and in litigation brought by the EEOC.
Casey has an extensive arbitration practice, routinely represents employers in FINRA, AAA and JAMS proceedings, and has prevailed in numerous arbitrations involving matters such as breach of employment contracts, wage claims, and bonus and incentive pay disputes.
As part of counseling employers on day-to-day issues, Casey regularly advises on issues of hiring, disciplining and firing in both unionized and non-unionized workplaces. She also authors employment policies, including drug and alcohol testing procedures, executive contracts, separation agreements and employee handbooks. Casey frequently conducts on-site training sessions on topics such as workforce management, workplace violence, harassment and discrimination, and computer and Internet usage.
A substantial portion of Casey's practice involves traditional labor law and counseling employers on contract interpretation and discipline issues. She has represented employers in grievance arbitrations and in National Labor Relations Board proceedings, and has advised employers during union organizing campaigns.
Casey routinely represents colleges and universities on employment issues, as well as those involving tenure, Clery Act compliance and student affairs. She is a member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys and has presented at NACUA’s regional and national conferences.
Additionally, Casey has conducted numerous internal investigations into matters including fraud, embezzlement, theft, discrimination and harassment. She also trains human resource professionals on conducting and documenting internal investigations.
Contact & Links
- Reed Smith Centre
225 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
- University of Notre Dame, BA, magna cum laude, graduated 1993
- Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Bar
- Leadership Pittsburgh - Member of the Board of Directors
- National Association of College and University Attorneys - Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute - Faculty Member and Course Planner, Employment Law Institute – West
- United Way of Allegheny County - Co-Chair of the Women’s Leadership Council (2013-2015)
- United Way of Allegheny County - Member of the Board of Directors
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Labor and Employment, Pittsburgh (2018)
- Employment Law - Management, Pittsburgh (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Employment Law - Management
- Labor Law - Management
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Civil Rights
- State and Federal
- Title VII Litigation
- Named one of the Lawyers of the Year 2017 in the area of Employment Law
- Recipient of the Girl Scouts of Western Pennsylvania’s 2015 Awards of Distinction in the category “Woman of Distinction in Government & Law”
- Selected by the Pittsburgh Business Times as a "2014 BusinessWomen First" honoree
- Included on Employment Law 360's 2010 national list of 10 labor and employment lawyers under 40 to watch
- Included in The US Legal 500 and described as: "The finest attorney I have every worked with - loyal, fiercely competitive but always in a positive professional manner."
- Recognized in Chambers USA as a leading labor and employment lawyer (Pennsylvania, 2009 – present)
- Ranked in the "Top 50 Women List" in the nomination, research and blue ribbon review process, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, (2015-2016)
- Selected as a "2006 Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer
- Designated as a "Pennsylvania Rising Star" by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2005-2007 and 2011); selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2012-2015); also included in Super Lawyers Business Edition for Employment & Labor
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.