Recognized since 2003
Rochester, New York
Corporate Governance Law
Litigation - Banking and Finance
Litigation - Labor and Employment
Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions
Litigation - Securities
Carolyn Nussbaum is a partner in the Commercial Litigation group, and a member of the Securities and Governance Litigation team as well as the Class Action team. Carolyn represents companies and their management and leaders who confront business disputes. She is also the Managing Partner for the Rochester office of the firm, where she oversees policies impacting nearly 300 employees.
What do you focus on?
I concentrate my commercial litigation practice in four main specialized areas, using more than 30 years of experience in the courtroom to represent clients in securities and governance, trade secret, financial and complex contract disputes.
Securities and Governance Litigation
I counsel officers, directors and their companies confronting a threat of a securities or governance claim, with the goal of minimizing the risk of litigation and business disruption and helping them achieve their objectives. When litigation is unavoidable, I defend and advocate on behalf of my clients, bringing my extensive experience in this highly specialized area of the law to bear for the best practical and efficient resolution. I have a record of achieving dismissal of lawsuits on preliminary motions challenging transformative transactions.
Financial Institutions Representation
I represent local, regional and national financial institutions in the defense of claims by borrowers, consumers, and others, including consumer class actions, fraudulent transfers, and the investigation and defense of claims from suspected fraud by customers, counter-parties and employees. My experience includes defending Fair Debt Collection Practices Act claims, claims regarding disclosures at ATMs and claims arising out of customer misconduct.
One of the most important investments a business must make is in the protection of its intellectual property. When my client’s investment is threatened, whether by employees or competitors, I act quickly and aggressively to stop the damage, to seek redress and to achieve business objectives.
I work with clients to explore strategies to prompt expedient efficient results to business disputes. Recently, I represented a global information and document management company faced with arbitration claims by nearly 100 members of its distribution chain, seeking in excess of $100 million in damages. Using creative case management techniques and rapidly evolving law from the United States Supreme Court, we assisted the client in reaching a business resolution that avoided the distraction and expense of continued litigation.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.nixonpeabody.com/team/nussbaum-carolyn-g
- 1300 Clinton Square
Rochester, NY 14604-1792
- Smith College, BA
- New York, New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia, District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association - member
- Rochester Area Community Foundation - Board member
- United States Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Arbitration, Rochester, NY (2023)
- Corporate Governance Law, Rochester, NY (2021)
- Arbitration, Rochester, NY (2020)
- Litigation - Labor and Employment, Rochester, NY (2019)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Rochester, NY (2018)
- Litigation - Labor and Employment, Rochester, NY (2017)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Rochester, NY (2015)
- Litigation - Securities, Rochester, NY (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Securities
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance Law
- Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Civil Litigation
- Class Actions
- Complex Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Corporate Governance
- Stockholders' Suits
- “Top Women in Law” award recipient by the Daily Record
- New York Upstate Super Lawyers magazine, she has been selected as one of the Top 25 Women annually since 2007
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review RatingTM from Martindale Hubbell®
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.