Calvert G. Chipchase is a partner practicing in the areas of commercial and real estate litigation, employment arbitration and mediation, and land use, zoning, and entitlements.
For more than ten years, Mr. Chipchase has also been a Lecturer in Law at the University of Hawai‘i, Richardson School of Law. Mr. Chipchase has taught Land Use Management and Control and various legal writing courses. He is also a frequent guest lecturer at the law school.
Before joining Cades Schutte, Mr. Chipchase clerked for the Honorable Richard R. Clifton, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the Honorable Alan C. Kay, United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i.
Commercial and Real Estate Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation
- Representing businesses and individuals in matters involving complex corporate, partnership and agency issues; shareholder and derivative claims; labor and employment issues; contract, tort and fiduciary duty claims; trade secrets and intellectual property; antitrust, unfair competition and trade practices
- Representing businesses and individuals in matters involving development and financing issues; residential, commercial and agricultural leases; landowner liability
- Representing insureds in coverage and bad faith matters involving title, property, commercial liability and directors and officers policies
Land Use, Zoning and Entitlements
- Representing landowners and developers in contested case proceedings, council and administrative hearings and litigation in state and federal courts involving constitutional, statutory and ordinance issues, vested rights and other entitlements; historic and culturally significant properties; environmental review and regulation
- Assisting landowners and developers with state and County permitting and approvals
- Performing entitlements review and risk analysis for sellers, purchasers and lenders
SIGNIFICANT REPORTED CASES
- Lead appellate counsel for lender in GBBY Ewa Ltd. Partnership v. Finance Factors, Ltd., __ Fed. Appx. ___ (9th Cir. 2014). The Ninth Circuit held that the federal court had subject matter jurisdiction and that the bankruptcy court had the authority to enter final judgment. The Ninth Circuit also affirmed the judgment in favor of the lender.
- Lead counsel for insured in Hart v. TICOR Title Insurance Co., 126 Hawaii 448, 272 P.3d 1215 (2012). The Hawaii Supreme Court held that the insurer had improperly refused to defend the insured in litigation.
- Co-Counsel for petitioner on certified questions in BlueEarth Biofuels, LLC v. Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc., et al., 123 Hawaii 314, 235 P.3d 310, (2010). The Hawaii Supreme Court agreed with petitioner’s position on all certified questions presented, each of which involved trade secrets and Hawaii Revised Statutes chapter 482B.
- J.D., Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian, University of Hawaii, Richardson School of Law
- B.A., Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Colorado State University
- Hawaii State Trial and Appellate Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Chambers & Partners, Hawai‘i's Leading Lawyers, Up and Coming for General Commercial Litigation, 2014
- Best Lawyers, Real Estate Litigation, 2014
- Pacific Business News 40 Under 40 Class of 2013
Mr. Chipchase has published extensively on a variety of subjects, including federal courts, land use, water rights and constitutional law. His publications include:
- Hawai‘i Appellate Practice Manual (Contributing Author, HSBA 2012)
- Eminent Domain, A Handbook for Condemnation Law (Contributing Author, ABA Publishing 2011)
- Federal District Court Law Clerk Handbook (ABA Publishing 2007)
- From Grand Central to the Sierras: What Do We Do With Investment-Backed Expectations in Regulatory Takings, 23 Va. Envt’l L.J. 43 (Spring 2004)
Copies of Mr. Chipchase’s publications are available upon request.
- Lambda Alpha International (honorary society for the advancement of land economics)
- American Planning Association
- Urban Land Institute
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
- HUGS (Help Understand & Group Support), Board Member
- Chaminade University Educational Foundation, Trustee
- American Judicature Society, Board Member
- Federal Bar Association, Hawai‘i Chapter, Board Member and National Delegate