C. Phillip Buffington, Jr. advises financial institutions throughout the United States on federal and state banking laws and regulations. For more than 30 years, he has served as a trusted advisor to community, regional and national financial institutions, helping them to assess and analyze regulatory and litigation risks. Phil advises on a full range of issues, including corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, expansion and divestitures, de novo formations and charter conversions, bank holding company formations and expansion, notices of change in control and change in director or senior officer, strategic planning, capital planning, securities offerings, responses to examinations and enforcement actions and commercial lending transactions, including syndicated lending, asset-based lending and SBA loans.
Phil serves as Leader of the firm’s Financial Services Team.
Phil conducts seminars for numerous organizations related to topics of interest in the financial institution industry, including the Independent Community Bankers of America, Mississippi Bankers Association, Florida Bankers Association, South Carolina Bankers Association, Texas Bankers Association, Mississippi Home Corporation, Mississippi Center for Nonprofit Corporation and several other associations.
Phil is also an adjunct professor at Mississippi College School of Law (Banking Law and Business Planning), and is a faculty member for the Mississippi Bankers Association School of Banking (Commercial Loan Documentation I and II).
- Strategic Alternatives For and Against Distressed Businesses and Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation, Second Edition, 2015
- Strategic Alternatives for Distressed Businesses, 2012
- Leveraged Finance 2018, Financial Poise/West LegalEdcenter Webinar, August 2018
- Post-Closing Merger Issues – Integration & Potential Buyer/Seller Disputes, Series: Private Company M&A Boot Camp, Financial Poise
- Independent Community Bankers of America, 2017 Capitol Summit – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Mergers and Acquisitions, 2016 Florida Bankers Association Bank Directors Forum
- Business Account Signature Cards and Resolutions: Entities, Authority and Documentation – 2016
- Legal Panel Discussion, MSCPA Banking and Finance Conference, 2016
- Regulatory Enforcement Action Overview, Hancock/Whitney Bank, 2015
- Record Retention, Mississippi Corporate Counsel, 2015
- Going Paperless, Columbia Bank Counsel, 2015
- Fundamentals of Commercial Loan Documentation I and II, 2012-2015
- Going Paperless, Texas Bankers Association, 2014
- Money Can't Buy Me Love, but it Helps: Dealing with Bank Regulators - Capital Planning, Basel III and Stress Testing - Will It Ever End?, SC Bankers Convention, 2014
- Understanding the Lasting Impact of Basel III on Community Banks Live Webcast, The Knowledge Group/The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series, 2014
- Advanced Business Contracts: Acquisition Agreements, 2014
- News Bankers Need to Know - Vendor Management, Tampa, Florida, 2013
- Record Retention, Mississippi Bankers Association, 2013
- Banks and Title Insurance, Stewart Title Insurance
- Banks and Title Insurance, Mississippi Valley Title Insurance
- National Prosperity through Modern Rural Policy, White House Rural Council and the United States Department of Agriculture conference on Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Rural Development Policy Conference
- Affordable Housing and Non-Profit Issues, Mississippi Home Corp.
- National Center for Nonprofit Boards, Association Member, Speaker