Recognized since 2006
Administrative and Public Law
Class Action Litigation
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Director and Officer Liability Practice
Bryan Finlay QC is recognized as one of the top litigation lawyers in Canada.
Bryan's counsel practice is broad and has engaged the most complex commercial, constitutional, tort and public law issues. These have included issues of corporate espionage, spoliation, fraud, shareholder rights, directors and officers' responsibilities, financial reporting obligations, responsibilities and obligations of government and its various agencies, securities regulation, fiduciary obligations, defamation, policing, and competition law issues.
Bryan was awarded The Advocates’ Society Medal at a gala dinner on February 12, 2019. The Advocates’ Society Medal is the highest expression of esteem that the Society can convey to one of its members. It is intended to honour those who have demonstrated clearly their pre-eminence as counsel and who are acknowledged unequivocally as leaders of the bar, who have been dedicated and active members of The Advocates’ Society, and who have made a significant contribution to the profession of law and to the well-being of the community at large.
Bryan was also awarded the prestigious 2012 Ontario Bar Association Award for Excellence in Civil Litigation at a gala dinner on September 27, 2012 at which the Honourable Mr. Justice Cromwell, of the Supreme Court of Canada, was the keynote speaker.
In December 2015, Bryan accepted an invitation from the Supreme Court Advocacy Institute to join the Advisor Roster for Toronto. The Institute offers to all counsel appearing before the Court the opportunity to appear before a panel of two or three senior appellate counsel to moot their argument in advance of the hearing. The Institute has a roster of senior appellate counsel with significant Supreme Court of Canada experience ("advocacy advisors") in every major Canadian city.
Contact & Links
- 66 Wellington Street West, Suite 4100
TD Bank Tower
P.O. Box 35
Toronto, ON M5K 1B7
- Ontario, 1969
- Ontario, 1969
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Commercial Bar Association (England & Wales) - Honorary Overseas Member
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Director
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Administrative and Public Law, Toronto, Canada (2019)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Toronto, Canada (2015)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Administrative and Public Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Director and Officer Liability Practice
- Securities Law
- Bryan was granted his Q.C. by Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada (1983)
- The first recipient of the McMurtry Medal (2004) from Pro Bono Law Ontario for outstanding contribution to the delivery of pro bono legal services.
- Identified in the Canadian Who's Who.
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Commercial Litigation by The Chambers Global Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers.
- Identified in the International Who's Who of Commercial Litigators, Law Business Research and in PLC Global Counsel 3000
- Identified in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the categories of Corporate Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation, Public Law Litigation and Directors and Officers Liability (Toronto)
- Recognized as one of the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada by Lexpert and American Lawyer Media
- Recognized as one of the Leading 100 Canada/US Cross-Border Litigators in Canada by Lexpert and Thomson-Carswell
- Recognized by Lexpert as one of the 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada in the prestigious category of "Bet-the-Company" litigators
- Honorary Overseas Member of the Commercial Bar Association (England and Wales)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (1996)
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Recipient of the Lexpert Zenith Award honouring leadership through change (2012)
- Ontario Bar Association Award for Excellence in Civil Litigation (2012)
- Recognized for Dispute Resolution in Canada in the 2015 Chambers Global – The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Band 1)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.