Mr. De Vita, QC is Alexander Holburn’s Managing Partner. He practises in the area of civil litigation with an emphasis on insurance law, municipal liability, class action and personal injury litigation. His clients include major insurance companies, self-insured corporations, local governments and religious institutions. His practice involves the handling of catastrophic personal injury claims, product liability cases and the prosecution and defence of large property damage and business interruption claims. He regularly provides advice to both underwriters and policyholders on coverage issues and has successfully defended insurers in disputes involving policy interpretation, bad faith, arson and fraud. Mr. De Vita has also acted for professionals, including real estate agents, lawyers and insurance brokers and counselors. He has acted as defence counsel in a number of civil cases dealing with allegations of sexual abuse and vicarious liability for sexual abuse.
- Acted as Canadian counsel in bi-national mass tort litigation regarding radiant heating and was involved in negotiation of a (US)$320 million dollar settlement Kelman v. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and Goodyear Canada Inc. (Ontario); May v. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and Goodyear Canada Inc. (British Columbia); LaHaie v. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and Goodyear Canada Inc. (Alberta);
- Represented insurers in a coverage dispute arising from a $12 million mine fire;
- Represented an excess professional liability insurer in a multi-million dollar coverage arbitration;
- Acted as coverage counsel in securing insurance coverage for claims of historical sexual abuse dating back to 1939;
- Represents local governments in a wide variety of litigation including cases involving catastrophic injuries and fatalities;
- Acts as counsel to insurers in coverage matters involving allegations of bad faith, policy interpretation and disputes relating to the insurer’s duty to defend;
- Regularly acts for insurers in the prosecution and defence of subrogated actions; and
- Has appeared as counsel on numerous occasions in both the trial and appellate courts of British Columbia.