Bruno De Vita, QC is a member of the firm’s litigation practice and the former Managing Partner of the firm. He practices in the area of civil litigation with an emphasis on insurance law, governmental liability, and personal injury litigation. His clients include major insurance companies, self-insured corporations, local governments, religious institutions and athletic associations.
Mr. De Vita’s practice involves the handling of complex insurance coverage cases, and the prosecution and defence of large property damage and business interruption claims. He regularly acts for underwriters on large property and liability coverage issues and has successfully defended insurers in disputes involving policy interpretation, bad faith, arson and fraud. He is also regularly involved in defending catastrophic injury claims. Bruno has also acted for professionals, including lawyers, real estate agents, insurance brokers and psychologists in both liability and disciplinary matters. He has acted as defence counsel in a number of civil cases dealing with allegations of sexual abuse and vicarious liability for sexual abuse.
- Acted as Canadian counsel in bi-national mass tort litigation regarding radiant heating and was involved in negotiation of a (US) $320 million dollar settlement Kelman v. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and Goodyear Canada Inc. (Ontario); May v. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and Goodyear Canada Inc.(British Columbia); LaHaie v. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and Goodyear Canada Inc. (Alberta)
- Acted as arbitrator in dispute between top division professional football clubs regarding alleged wrongful termination of a player contract
- Represented insurers in a coverage dispute arising from a $12 million mine fire
- Acted as defence counsel in a product liability case involving a claim of “unintended acceleration” in a motor vehicle
- Represented local and national amateur hockey organizations in a claim of catastrophic brain injury occurring during the course of play
- Represented an excess professional liability insurer in a multi-million dollar coverage arbitration arising from claims brought in Canada and the U.S. against a leading law firm
- Acted as coverage counsel in securing insurance coverage for claims of historical sexual abuse dating back to 1939
- Represents local governments in a wide variety of litigation including cases involving catastrophic injuries and fatalities
- Acts as counsel to insurers in coverage matters involving allegations of bad faith, policy interpretation and disputes relating to the insurer’s duty to defend
- Regularly acts for insurers in the prosecution and defence of subrogated actions
- Acts as counsel to both local and national soccer associations
- Has appeared as counsel on numerous occasions in both the trial and appellate courts of British Columbia