Brian Cohen is a partner and lawyer in Gowling WLG’s global Private Client Services Group. Based in Toronto, he assists clients in the areas of estate planning, trusts and personal taxation, with a focus on advising high net worth individuals on succession planning alternatives.
Brian also advises donors, charitable organizations, public and private foundations, and not-for-profit organizations regarding the tax implications of formation, registration, governance and planned giving strategies.
In addition, Brian frequently advises clients on estate litigation matters.
Brian is a past recipient of the Ontario Bar Association’s Hoffstein Book Prize in Trusts and Estates. He is listed as a leading lawyer in Chambers Canada, Chambers HNW, Best Lawyers in Canada, Acritas Stars and the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
Brian is an active member of his community, with volunteer positions that include:
- Director of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners Canada, 2015-present
- Chair of the Toronto branch of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), 2015-present
- Secretary of the Toronto Branch of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), 2013-2015
- Member of Executive Committee of the Toronto Chapter of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, 2011-2013
- Committee member of the Professional Advisory Committee (PAC) of the Jewish Foundation of Toronto, 2013-present
- Co-ordinator of SickKids Foundation Leadership campaigns