Recognized since 2020
Washington, District of Columbia
Litigation - ERISA
Brian Boyle represents financial services companies, including banks, trust and mutual fund companies, health care payers, and health and life insurers, in connection with class or mass actions. Drawing on his detailed knowledge of the business models of financial services providers, and his significant experience working with experts in economics and finance, Brian explains complex financial services products and services in ways that courts and lay juries can understand.
Bringing creativity and sophistication to opposing class certification, Brian focuses his practice on high-stakes disputes under the ERISA statute. He represents the employer/sponsors of retirement plans, as well as product and service providers to such plans, when the plans’ fiduciary committees are alleged to have caused the plans to pay excessive fees, select poor-quality investments, or engage in “prohibited transactions.” On the welfare plan side, he also represents clients in actions for health benefits and in cases by health care providers who purport to have assignments of their patients’ litigation rights under ERISA.
Brian also handles other consumer claims against banks and financial institutions, including claims by borrowers against mortgage originators and servicers and claims challenging fee structures under state consumer protection laws or the National Bank Act.
Brian is co-chair of the Firm’s Financial Services Practice and the Health Care and Life Sciences Practice. Brian also is active in the Firm’s Appellate Practice. Chambers USA and The Legal 500 have named him as a leading practitioner in the ERISA litigation and health care areas.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.omm.com/professionals/brian-d-boyle
- 1625 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
- Harvard University Law School , J.D., Magna Cum Laude, graduated 1986
- Georgetown University, A.B., Summa Cum Laude, graduated 1982
- District of Columbia, District of Columbia
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Health Lawyers Association - Member
- American Law Institute - Member
- US Supreme Court
- US Courts of Appeals, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Litigation - ERISA
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® 2020 for Litigation - ERISA in Washington, DC
- Named a Local Litigation Star in Energy and Natural Resources, FCPA and Enforcement, General Commercial, Insurance, and Product Liability by Benchmark Litigation (2019-2020)
- Recognized as “Band One” in ERISA Litigation, Chambers USA (2019)
- ERISA Litigation and Health Care, The Legal 500
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.