Recognized since 2006
Vancouver, British Columbia
Aboriginal Law / Indigenous Practice
Brad Armstrong, QC has extensive experience in civil litigation, aboriginal law, administrative and constitutional law, and environmental law. He represents clients involved with land use issues, project development, regulatory approvals, environmental assessments, First Nations consultation, and litigation, in a range of natural resource industries including mining, forestry, agriculture, aquaculture, energy, independent power projects, oil and gas, and transportation. His practice extends through Western Canada and the North (including Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut).
Brad acts as counsel in court hearings and in public review hearings, in all levels of the British Columbia Courts and the Federal Courts, and before federal, provincial and territorial boards, panels and commissions.
Brad also has extensive experience in corporate and commercial litigation, injunctions, and environmental prosecutions, as well as competition law.
Brad was the firm’s Managing Partner from 2000 through 2003.
Brad is also a regular contributor to the Project Law Blog, a resource that updates proponents on developments in the law and policy that applies to the development of major projects in Canada.
Brad also teaches a course at the University of British Columbia – Natural Resources Law (2010, 2011 and 2017), Oil and Gas Law (2013-2016).
Contact & Links
- Cathedral Place, Suite 1600
925 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3L2
- British Columbia, 1981
- Northwest Territories, 1998
- Nunavut, 1999
- Yukon, 2006
- Board of Governors of Crofton House School and Chair of the Risk Management Committee - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Environment Committee of the British Columbia Business Council - Member
- Geoscience BC - Board Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Aboriginal Law / Indigenous Practice
- Environmental Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Environmental law and Aboriginal law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: consistently recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Environmental law and Aboriginal law
- Chambers Canada: recognized in the Aboriginal Law (Canada) and Environment (Canada) category
- Lexpert Special Edition 2016 and 2017: Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining
- Appointed Queen's Counsel in 2002
- Chambers Global: recognized in the categories: Aboriginal law (Canada) Environment (Canada)
- Lexpert's Leading Canadian Energy Lawyers 2014
- Legal 500 Canada: recognized as a Leading Individual in the Environment category
- Benchmark Canada: The Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys 2016: recognized as a Litigation Star for Aboriginal and Energy and Natural Resources litigation in British Columbia
- Who's Who Legal Canada: recognized for Environmental law
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: BV Peer Review rated
- 2011 Lexpert Zenith Award: recognized for Corporate and Law Firm Social Responsibility for his contributions to Family Services of Greater Vancouver
ExperienceRepresented a major diamond mining company in environmental assessment and project approval in the Northwest Territories
- Advised government agencies in connection with the regulatory review process for hydroelectric projects in Nunavut
- Represented a major marine transportation agency in Federal Court proceedings involving aboriginal and environmental issues
- Represented a major industrial company in an extensive public environmental review of a hydroelectric project
- Represented a mining company in Federal Court proceedings respecting federal environmental assessment compliance
- Represented various industrial corporations in defending charges under environmental laws and regulations
- Represented a mining company in environmental assessment and project approval in Nunavut
- Represented various resource and industrial companies, and governments, in litigation involving First Nations, aboriginal law, treaty law and constitutional law
- Represented various natural resource companies in obtaining injunctions to prohibit interference with project development and activities
- Represented corporate and shareholder interests in litigation concerning contractual issues, amalgamations and arrangements, take-over bids, proxy materials and oppression remedies
- Represented various businesses in litigation and compliance issues relating to the Competition Act
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.