Recognized since 2021
San Francisco, California
Litigation - Patent
Ben Riley is a Principal of the firm and serves on its Executive Committee. He has tried nearly 30 cases to verdict including jury trials, court trials, and complex arbitrations. His practice focuses on Intellectual Property Litigation, including patents, trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks and license disputes. He also has an active practice in Business Litigation, including class action defense, defense of “consumer claims” under the Lanham Act and unfair competition statutes, accounting issues, and real property litigation.
Mr. Riley also represents companies in connection with director and officer, securities, fiduciary duty, and internal investigation issues, and obtained a defense verdict in a six-week securities class action jury trial. Finally, Mr. Riley represents private clients and charities in Trust and Estate Litigation.
Mr. Riley is ranked by Chambers as among the top 13 California attorneys in Intellectual Property Litigation: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets. Chambers writes: “Benjamin Riley is ‘very organized, writes beautifully and is great in front of judges,’ report sources, further noting: ‘He's very bright, quick to grasp technical and legal issues, and he's very efficient.’ He is an experienced practitioner skilled in handling a broad range of contentious IP matters. He is particularly highlighted for his expertise in trade secret disputes.”
Mr. Riley has lectured and published extensively as to Intellectual Property, Business Litigation, Trust & Estate Litigation, and trial practice skills. He is an expert in commercial arbitration law and procedure and regularly handles important cases before the world’s leading arbitration forums. He also has an active practice as a Mediator for the Northern District of California and for private litigants.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.bzbm.com/attorney/benjamin-k-riley/
- One Embarcadero Center, Suite 800
San Francisco, CA 94111
- University of California Berkeley , J.D., graduated 1983
- Dartmouth College, A.B. Cum Laude (History), graduated 1979
- California, The State Bar of California 12/12/1983
- American Bar Association - Memeber
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Northern California - Past President
- Bar Association of San Francisco - Member
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow 2016
- McFetridge Inn of Court - Master
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Patent
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Trademark, Copyright and Technology Licensing Litigation
- Trust And Estate Litigation
- California Lawyer of the Year.
- 1998-2022, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating, 5 Stars.
- 2004-2022 Northern California Super Lawyers.
- 2019-2022 Ranked in Chambers.
- 2021-2022 Best Lawyers.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.