Recognized since 2018
Litigation - Insurance
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
Barry Miller is a Partner and Office Chair in Freeman Mathis & Gary’s Lexington, Kentucky office. He has spent 30 years in the courtrooms of Kentucky. He has been recognized as a Super Lawyer every year since 2013, and also has been recognized by Best Lawyers in the field of Commercial Litigation.
Mr. Miller’s coverage and bad faith practice includes matters involving thoroughbred horses, coal mining, trucking and transportation, pollution, municipal liability, and alleged police misconduct. He also has extensive experience litigating a variety of complex commercial disputes in federal and state courts. Mr. Miller's experience encompasses disputes involving real estate, franchises, contracts and shareholder claims as well as claims for unfair and deceptive trade practices. Further, he has litigated claims involving director and officer liability, business torts, false claims act/qui tam claims and misappropriation of trade secrets.
As a seasoned trial lawyer, Mr. Miller is also called upon by the firm’s clients to defend catastrophic injury claims, whether they arise from transportation, construction, real property, or assaults, including sexual torts. He also has represented manufacturers in the defense of product liability cases. His professional liability practice includes the defense of homeowner associations, real estate professionals, and escrow offices with respect to real estate transactions, as well as professional geotechnical and structural engineers and contractors named in construction litigation involving multiple types of residential and commercial construction.
In addition, Mr. Miller is also designated as a Certified Information Privacy Professional in U.S. Law (“CIPP/US”). His technology-related work goes back to the late 1980s, when he was the first associate in his law firm to use a computer in his law practice. Since then, Mr. Miller has represented technology companies, as well as private and government institutions that have experienced data breaches or incidents. He is a frequent speaker to local and national groups on technology related issues, and their effects on general business practices, claims handling, and the practice of law.
Mr. Miller’s pre-law experience as a newspaper reporter has aided his practice in several defamation cases, and in coverage matters related to personal and advertising injury.
- 2525 Harrodsburg Road Suite 500
Lexington, KY 40504-3359
- University of Kentucky
- Kentucky, Active
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- Fayette County Bar Association - Member
- National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators - Member
- Primerus Society of Law Firms - Member
- Kentucky Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, Lexington (2022)
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Insurance
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US)
- AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Recognized by “Super Lawyers” (2013-2020)
- Education Law
- Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Municipal
- Mass Tort Litigation
- Municipal Law
- Privacy and Data Security Law
- Reinsurance Law
- Technology Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.