Barry is a Director in the Real Estate and Affordable Housing and Community Development sections of Coats Rose. His practice concentrates on the development and rehabilitation of affordable housing under various federal and state programs and inner city revitalization projects utilizing tax exempt financing tools. A large portion of Barry’s practice includes the representation of housing authorities in the redevelopment of obsolete public housing. Barry has particular expertise in the Section 42 Low-Income Housing Tax Credit program and the various HUD-administered redevelopment. His practice involves closing numerous projects under HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Program. He has been a frequent speaker on the topic of combining RAD with the Section 42 Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program.
In addition, Barry serves as developer counsel for numerous for profit and non-profit developers under the Section 42 low income housing tax credit program. He also works extensively on applications for credits and the subsequent closing of tax credit projects. Barry is the Head of the firm’s Affordable Housing and Community Development practice. He is located in the Houston office.
- “Tax Exempt Bonds: Boot Camp,” Barry J. Palmer, Moderator, at the 2020 TAAHP Summer Virtual+ Conference, July 20, 2020
- “National & Regional RAD Experiences – Portfolio, Development, Subsidy & Financing Options” Barry J. Palmer, Moderator, at the Southwest Regional RAD Collaborative, March 4, 2020
- “RAD Retrospective and Prospective – Legal Lessons Learned, Successes, Challenges, Today’s Hot RAD Topics & More,” Barry J. Palmer, Speaker, at the 2019 HDLI Fall Legal Conference, October 11, 2019
- “RAD and Historic Tax Credits,” Barry J. Palmer, Speaker, at the 2019 NAHRO National Conference and Exhibition, October 10, 2019
- “The Future is RAD,” Barry J. Palmer, Speaker, at the 2019 Novogradac Affordable Housing Conference, October 3, 2019“RAD Conversion Workshop for Housing Authorities & Cities,” Barry J. Palmer, Moderator, presented at the 2019 Texas Affordable Housing Conference, produced by TAAHP, July 23, 2019
- “Adding LIHTC to the RAD Process / Financing Your RAD Development,” Barry J. Palmer, Panelist, 2019 Novogradac Affordable Housing Conference: Using RAD and the LIHTC to Improve Communities, January 2019 in Miami Beach, Florida“RAD” the Latest Update,” Texas Housing Association Annual Conference, 2018