Recognized since 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Administrative / Regulatory Law
Art Melendres concentrates his practice primarily in administrative, education, commercial and municipal finance law. For more than thirty-five years, clients have sought Art’s expertise when faced with disputes involving education, administrative law, commercial law or public financing. For more than twenty-five years, Art has served as general counsel for the Albuquerque Public Schools, a school district of more than 90,000 students and 11,000 employees. He regularly advises the School Board and the Administration on a variety of issues including employment matters, public finance, litigation, real estate and procurement. Art serves as lead counsel on all significant litigation for the Albuquerque Public Schools. In addition, he has been serving as a registered lobbyist for clients at the New Mexico Legislature for 20 years.
Best Lawyers in America® recognizes Art as “Lawyer of the Year” in Albuquerque in 2020 for Administrative/Regulatory Law. He has also been named “Lawyer of the Year” in past years: 2019 for both Education Law and Municipal Law, 2017 for Municipal Law, 2016 for Education Law, 2015 in Municipal Law, 2014 in Education Law, 2014 Administrative/Regulatory Law, and 2011 in Education Law. He has attained the AV® rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating possible based on a peer review. In 2010, Art was named as Best of the Bar – General Counsel by New Mexico Business Weekly and in 1996, Art received the New Mexico Distinguished Public Service Award.
Art served as a member and President of the Board of Regents for the University of New Mexico and as previous president of the Albuquerque Bar Association, New Mexico Association of School Board Attorneys and Young Lawyers Section of the State Bar of New Mexico.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Lawyer Page: https://www.modrall.com/attorney/arthur-d-melendres/
- 500 Fourth Street, NW, Suite 1000
P.O. Box 2168
Albuquerque, NM 87103
- University of New Mexico, J.D., graduated 1971
- University of New Mexico, BA, graduated 1965
- New Mexico, State Bar of New Mexico
- New Mexico, U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- New Mexico, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- New Mexico, United States Supreme Court
- Albuquerque Bar Association - Past President
- American Law Institute - Member
- Board of Regents, University of New Mexico - Past President
- National Association of Bond Lawyers - Member
- New Mexico Association of School Board Attorneys - Member
- New Mexico Commission on Higher Education - Commissioner
- State Bar of New Mexico - Young Lawyers Division, Past President
- Education Law, Albuquerque (2023)
- Administrative / Regulatory Law, Albuquerque (2020)
- Education Law, Albuquerque (2019)
- Municipal Law, Albuquerque (2019)
- Municipal Law, Albuquerque (2017)
- Education Law, Albuquerque (2016)
- Municipal Law, Albuquerque (2015)
- Administrative / Regulatory Law, Albuquerque (2014)
- Education Law, Albuquerque (2014)
- Education Law, Albuquerque (2011)
- Administrative / Regulatory Law
- Education Law
- Municipal Law
- Best Lawyers of America® in Administrative/Regulatory Law, Education Law and Municipal Law, 2008-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- New Mexico Business Weekly "Best of the Bar – General Counsel," 2010
- New Mexico Distinguished Public Service Award, 1996
"As a first year superintendent, I do not know what I would have done without his advice and counsel. He was able to advise me both legally and politically. Art is well connected. This is a great help when in a big battle. I am extremely comfortable with him protecting our district and my reputation."
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.