Tony Lathrop is a seasoned corporate trial lawyer experienced in complex commercial litigation, transportation, land use, zoning/development, planning, and condemnation law. As a recognized leader within legal, transportation, and planning communities in North Carolina and nationwide, Tony brings valuable industry and governmental perspectives to client matters, which he approaches with an eye towards maximizing value and reducing future risk.
Tony utilizes his experience as a trial attorney and certified mediator to develop strategies seeking optimal trial results and other resolutions in high-stakes matters, and advises clients based on their business objectives and risk-reduction goals. Tony partners closely with his clients and offers valuable industry and governmental perspectives as a complement to his legal experience.
Tony has more than 30 years of experience representing a diverse portfolio of clients in a broad range of complex civil litigation and administrative matters. His clients include:
- vehicle and aircraft manufacturers,
- real estate developers,
- engineering firms
- transportation infrastructure firms,
- various service providers,
- mining/mineral transformation companies,
- pulp and paper manufacturers, and
- networking/cloud connectivity providers.
Tony routinely collaborates with MVA colleagues on other practice teams to bring varied experience and perspectives to bear when the firm’s clients will benefit from a multi-disciplinary approach to matters.
Through his commitment to leadership in the legal, transportation, and planning communities of North Carolina, Tony has regular and significant interaction with local, state, and federal elected officials, and governmental agencies, trade organizations, interested stakeholder groups, and industry professionals on matters of policy and advocacy, project planning and management, funding, economic development, public-private partnerships, and general business development efforts. Tony has particular interest and experience in the areas of:
- public infrastructure and transportation improvements
- logistics and transportation issues, including the impact of the pandemic and disruption from advances in technology
- residential, commercial, and industrial development
- transit-oriented development
- public-private partnership and regional collaboration opportunities