Recognized since 2012
Employment Law - Individuals
Litigation - ERISA
Andrew Altschul mediates employment and ERISA disputes. In addition to his mediation practice, Andrew handles federal and state court appeals of employment litigation, provides day-to-day employment counseling, litigates ERISA benefit matters, serves as settlement counsel, and provides collective bargaining representation primarily for non-profit organizations. He also consults small law firms on law firm management.
Andrew has over 20 years’ experience representing both employers and employees in all aspects of employment disputes. He practiced labor and employment law at two of the country’s largest law firms before openings his own employment law boutique in 2004 and helping to found Buchanan Angeli Altschul & Sullivan LLP in 2008.
Andrew is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Oregon Super Lawyers, Chambers USA, and has received, but no longer maintains his Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification from SHRM. He served as co-chair of the ABA’s Labor and Employment Section’s Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee and National Programing Committee, as Chair of the Oregon State Bar Board of Bar Examiners, and is a member of the Oregon, Washington and California bars. Andrew received his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School and his bachelor’s degree from Grinnell College.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.baasemploymentlaw.com/andrew-altschul
- 921 Southwest Washington Street, Suite 516
Portland, OR 97205
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, JD, graduated 1995
- Grinnell College, BA, graduated 1992
- Oregon, Oregon State Bar
- Washington, Washington State Bar Association
- California, The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association - Labor and Employment Section Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee Co-Chair 2009-2012
- American Bar Association - Labor and Employment Section Leader and Development Program, Class of 2011
- American Bar Association - Labor and Employment Section National Programing Committee Co-Chair, 2011-2013
- Oregon State Board of Bar Examiners - Chair 2007-2008, Member 2005-2008
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - ERISA, Portland, OR (2021)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Employment Law - Individuals
- Litigation - ERISA
"Andrew Altschul is an exceptional attorney and human being. Any client would be lucky to have Andrew as his or her lawyer."
"Andrew is a caring and very supportive lawyer. He would thoroughly explain the situation patiently in a manner I could digest. He was always empathetic and positive throughout the process, listening to additional thoughts I had and answering questions. He is extraordinarily intelligent and stands for justice. I feel very fortunate and appreciative that he accepted my case. And we won (against City of Portland)! Thanks Andrew & team."
"Andrew Altschul agreed to represent me in a case against the State of Oregon even though upon our first meeting there appeared to be very little chance of successfully negotiating a settlement. However, after probing further, Mr. Altschul believed I was poorly treated during a separation and in a manner that could have damaged my professional reputation after 24 years of stellar performance with this agency. He made the consequences of every decision I needed to make very clear. He successfully negotiated an agreement that protected my reputation, provided six months of pay and provided the service at a very reasonable cost. I am grateful to Mr. Altschul and his firm."
- Carole Hardy (Individual client), Portland, OR
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.