Allen Ruby is recognized as one of the nation’s leading trial attorneys and has extensive experience representing individuals and corporations in complex civil and criminal litigation in state and federal courts. His trial practice includes a wide variety of high-profile, complex commercial and intellectual property cases, as well as white collar criminal matters.
Some of Mr. Ruby’s representative matters include:
- SanDisk Corporation in a $28.5 million jury verdict in a patent licensing dispute;
- former Major League Baseball star Barry Bonds in his trial for alleged false statements to a grand jury;
- Brocade Communications Systems Inc. in a $112 million jury verdict in a patent, copyright and trade secrets case;
- The Oakland A’s in a suit concerning the team’s planned relocation to San Jose;
- a major medical device manufacturer with respect to product liability litigation around the United States; and
- Southwest Airlines in an antitrust case concerning its merger with AirTran.
- Facebook, Inc. in an ownership dispute;
- Hewlett-Packard Co. in its suit against its former CEO Mark Hurd;
- Bank of America in extended litigation, including a jury trial, over allegations of trade secret misappropriation;
- hundreds of defrauded investors in Technical Equities Corporation in litigation against financial institutions and other responsible parties;
- The National Football League in its successful litigation against the Oakland Raiders; and
- former San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales who was prosecuted for and exonerated of corruption charges.
In addition, Mr. Ruby has represented chief executives and technology companies in landmark Silicon Valley litigation, including cases involving Avant!, SanDisk, Microsoft, Fujitsu and Hynix Semiconductor.
Mr. Ruby consistently has been recognized as a “leading lawyer” in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Who’s Who Legal and The Best Lawyers in America. He was named Best Lawyers’ “2013 San Francisco Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar Lawyer of the Year.” Mr. Ruby also was selected as one of the 2013 and 2014 “BTI Client Service All-Stars” by The BTI Consulting Group for providing outstanding client service. In 2011, the Daily Journal named him one of the “Top 100” lawyers in California. He is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.