Recognized since 2003
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Al Ellis, Of Counsel, is known in legal circles for his leadership and integrity in the practice of law, as well as his service to the community. At Sommerman, McCaffity, Quesada & Geisler, L.L.P., he focuses his practice on personal injury, products liability, dram shop, medical malpractice litigation and mediation/arbitration.
Al vigorously advocates for his clients, having tried more than 175 jury trials. He is Board Certified in Personal Injury and Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has been admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and all federal and state courts in Texas.
Al is an active member in numerous prestigious legal societies, including the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the American Board of Trial Advocates, the Dallas and Texas Bar Associations, and the Texas Trial Lawyers Association. Al also enjoys using his legal skills to give back to the community, having participated in organizations such as Law Focused Education, Inc., Legal Services of North Texas, Dallas Legal Hospice, and currently Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity and the Salesmanship Club of Dallas.
Al recently received the honor of being named a 2019 DTLA Legal Legend. This is the first year DTLA has given this award. The 2019 Legends have 40+ years in practice and have dedicated their careers to achieving justice for those who have been harmed. The Dallas Bar honored Al by establishing the Al Ellis Community Involvement Award. Al was the first recipient.
Following graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington and a tour of duty in Vietnam as a U.S. Army Airborne infantry officer, Al obtained his Juris Doctor from Southern Methodist University. While attending SMU, Al was student chief counsel for the SMU Legal Clinic and a member of the board of editors for the Journal of Air Law and Commerce.
- 3811 Turtle Creek Boulevard, Suite 1400
Dallas, TX 75219-4492
- Southern Methodist University, J.D., graduated 1971
- The University of Texas at Arlington
- Texas, State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association - Past President
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers - Member
- Legal Services of North Texas - Past Board Member
- Salesmanship Club of Dallas - Member
- State Bar of Texas - Past Board Member
- Texas Commission for Lawyer Discipline - Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association - Past Board Member
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Automobile Collision
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- Liability Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Best Lawyers in America, 2003-present
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-present
2020 Dallas Trial Lawyers Association “Al Ellis” ListServer Award
2023 Texas Bar Foundation Outstanding 50-Year Lawyer Award
- DTLA Legal Legend, 2019
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award by Marquis Who's Who
- Lawyers of Distinction (Top 10%)
- Dallas Habitat for Humanity Mary Brock Award (2013)
- Justinian Award, 2010 by the Dallas Lawyers Auxiliary
- Legal Malpractice Law
- Personal Injury Litigation
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.