Recognized since 2006
Washington, District of Columbia
Trusts and Estates
Alban "Alby" Salaman is a partner in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C. office. He is chair of the firm's Mid-Atlantic Region Private Wealth Services group and practices in the areas of estate planning, estate administration and employee benefits. He concentrates on designing sophisticated estate plans and saving taxes for wealthy families in the metropolitan Washington, D.C., area and for professional athletes nationwide, including NBA and NFL players. The group Mr. Salaman heads has been recognized as a Tier I (best) practice for Trust and Estates Law by U.S. News & World Report.
Mr. Salaman has 30 years' experience advising clients on a wide range of wealth planning and preservation concerns, including: tax planning, wills, trusts, advance medical directives, insurance planning, family business planning (including grantor retained annuity trusts and defective trusts), family partnerships, charitable giving, pre-marital agreements and retirement planning. No court has ever overturned any of the prenuptial agreements he has prepared for clients. He also administers large estates, supervises the preparation of federal estate tax returns and represents clients before the IRS with respect to federal estate tax audits.Mr. Salaman's broad tax knowledge developed from his employment with the Office of Chief Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service, from 1977 to 1983. In that position, he drafted legal opinions on proposed revenue rulings, letter rulings and litigation positions when novel or complex issues were involved. Mr. Salaman often represented his division in conferences with Treasury officials. He also was awarded the Chief Counsel Special Achievement Award.Mr. Salaman has been quoted in The Washington Post, Washingtonian Magazine, U.S. News & World Report, The Baltimore Sun, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Forbes.com and Yahoo! Finance. He has been interviewed on Fox Business. He has taught estate and retirement planning for the Greater Washington Society of CPAs, The American College of Financial Services, and others.
Contact & Links
- 800 Seventeenth Street N.W., Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006
- University of Pennsylvania , BA, graduated 1971
- Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Committee for the Weizmann Institute of Science, D.C. Chapter - Board of Directors
- D.C. Estate Planning Council - President
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Trusts and Estates
- Estate Planning
- Premarital Agreements
- Who's Who Legal: Private Client, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Leading Lawyer, Legal Times (now National Law Journal), 2004
- Top Washington Lawyer, Washington Business Journal, 2009
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, 2007-2016
- Top 100 Attorney, Worth magazine, 2006, 2007
- Leading Lawyer, Washingtonian, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014-2016
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.