Adam Tarleton works with entrepreneurs, family businesses and nonprofits, providing counsel on tax, estate planning, and business matters. He helps clients protect and preserve their wealth and achieve personal and financial goals. Adam prepares wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents that help clients minimize the tax and related costs of transferring wealth to younger generations, and helps devise succession planning strategies to preserve the value of family-owned businesses through multiple generations. Adam also helps families form private foundations, charitable trusts, and other nonprofit organizations, and provides advice on how to structure charitable gifts to maximize the tax benefits of philanthropic activity. He is a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning from the North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization.
Adam also helps clients understand the complicated federal and state tax laws impacting their businesses, and provides practical advice on how to structure business transactions - including start-ups, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, divisions, and liquidations - in the most tax-efficient way possible. He also defends clients in IRS and state tax audits, and represents taxpayers in administrative appeals and litigation seeking the refund or abatement of taxes and penalties assessed in audit proceedings.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) as a “Rising Star” in Estate and Probate Law (2014-2018)
- Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Tax and Estate Planning Law (2014-2018); Young Guns (2018)
- Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning by the North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization
- Named to Triad Business Journal's "40 Leaders Under 40" (2017)
- Graduate, Leadership Greensboro, 2016
- Member, Board of Directors, UNC Law Foundation, 2015-present
- Member, Board of Directors, United Way of Greater Greensboro, 2017-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Green Hill Center for North Carolina Art, 2011-2017
- Member, Board of Directors, Ten Thousand Villages of Greensboro, 2012-2014
- Volunteer, Greensboro Women's Resource Center Attorney Hotline, 2007-present