Find Lawyers in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany for Information Technology Law
Select a location from the list below to find the best legal talent for your needs.
Information Technology Law - Freiburg im Breisgau, GermanyAbout this Practice Area
Werner Bachmann is a lawyer and partner at Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner. He specialises in advising on technology projects (IT, telecommunications), outsourcing, proprietary and open source licensing models, e-business models, leasing and sales financing, IT compliance and data protection, export control and customs law as well as energy law. He is also a regular lecturer at the Institute for IT in Healthcare in Freiburg / Constance. Werner Bachmann is a member of the Working G...
Gero Wilke, LL.M. Attorney Certified intellectual property attorney Certified IT-law attorney Certified external data protection officer Specialists areas : Intellectual Property, IT-law Gero Wilke specializes in legal consulting and conducting lawsuits in the areas of intellectual property law and information technology law. He advises and represents companies of all size, particularly medium-sized companies. The focus areas of his activity include trademark law, competition law, copyright l...
Information Technology Law Definition
“IT Law” is short for information technology law, a legal field of ever increasing significance. In a nutshell, IT law encompasses every aspect of the law associated with information systems and/or services. Although it currently lacks any proper definition under German law, the general consensus is that this is an independent legal field in its own right. There is a sense that IT law constitutes interdisciplinary material that embraces a number of different law fields in connection with information technology. Indeed, there’s a thin line between industrial property rights, media and entertainment laws when it comes to drafting license agreements or R&D contracts.
That said, full-range IT law consulting encompasses matters such as:
- Software agreements (e.g., license renewals, maintenance, distribution, escrow, and design copyrights)
- Hardware agreements (e.g., re-/purchase, lease, maintenance, development, and distribution)
- IT projects (e.g., ERP system implementation, IT service outsourcing, and electronic invoicing)
- Internet and e-business (including m-commerce)
- Data protection law and IT security (e.g. data protection manuals, data protection audits and services as external data protection officer)
- Extrajudicial and judicial enforcement of/defense against claims (e.g., cases involving IT project failures or court proceedings involving software licensing violations)
- Advisory services involving IT project transactions (e.g., IT due diligence in M&A transactions)
- IT compliance (e.g., licensing and data protection issues, including employee helpline and surveillance matters)
Add to that any legal questions arising from IT service contract awards through public tendering.
everyday practice, IT law consultancy requires expertise in a broad range of
law fields from compliance and data protection laws all the way to contract law
– as individually applied to the field of information technology. Moreover, IT
lawyers benefit from having at least some technical knowledge, particularly
around network and database structures, software functionality, and, if
necessary, programming languages. Last but not least, business knowledge is
just as important as any field or legal expertise when it comes to finding
individual and practical strategies and solutions.
Recognition by Best Lawyers is based entirely on peer review. Our methodology is designed to capture, as accurately as possible, the consensus opinion of leading lawyers about the professional abilities of their colleagues within the same geographical area and legal practice area.
Best Lawyers employs a sophisticated, conscientious, rational, and transparent survey process designed to elicit meaningful and substantive evaluations of the quality of legal services. Our belief has always been that the quality of a peer review survey is directly related to the quality of the voters.
Enhancing Consumer Safety Through Winning Jury Trials and Substantial Settlements
by Justin Smulison